Debianslug - flashing di-nslu2.bin problem

  • h8dc
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
      I have a stock NSLU2 running the V2.3R63 firmware, and I want to try
      running DebianSlug on it.

      I flashed di-nslu2.bin from slug-firmware.net as directed on
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2. The Linksys webpage said the
      upgrade was successful and the slug would reboot, but it did not (and
      I gave it a lot of time! :). It showed a steady AMBER status light.

      I reverted back to V2.3R63 with no problems and tried flashing it
      again, this time using sercomm. Same result. Steady amber status
      light. Re-powering the unit gives the status light as well.

      It should reboot after flashing the installer - right? I waited 15
      minutes. Tried ssh'ing - can't. Can't ping it. Nothing.

      What am I doin' wrong?

      TIA
    • Wouter Rijkhoff
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
        You did nothing wrong....yesterday i got exactly the same thing.
        Flash ok....but no network. Steady amber upper led.
        Resetsysconf from the wiki was the answer!
        It resets network settings to dhcp and it's alive again.
        At 3am pfffff...
        It's now at this moment installing debian.

        This is a tip for the wiki too.

        Succes!

        Wouter

        I have a stock NSLU2 running the V2.3R63 firmware, and I want to try
        running DebianSlug on it.

        I flashed di-nslu2.bin from slug-firmware.net as directed on
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2. The Linksys webpage said the
        upgrade was successful and the slug would reboot, but it did not (and
        I gave it a lot of time! :). It showed a steady AMBER status light.

        I reverted back to V2.3R63 with no problems and tried flashing it
        again, this time using sercomm. Same result. Steady amber status
        light. Re-powering the unit gives the status light as well.

        It should reboot after flashing the installer - right? I waited 15
        minutes. Tried ssh'ing - can't. Can't ping it. Nothing.

        What am I doin' wrong?

        TIA

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
          * Wouter Rijkhoff <wouter@...> [2006-04-26 17:17]:
          > You did nothing wrong....yesterday i got exactly the same thing.
          > Flash ok....but no network. Steady amber upper led.
          > Resetsysconf from the wiki was the answer!
          > It resets network settings to dhcp and it's alive again.
          > At 3am pfffff...
          > It's now at this moment installing debian.

          There is a bug in the parsing of the network configuration when you
          use a static network but have not set a netmask or gateway explictly.
          I've fixed this in the development tree. If you (h8dc) think this is
          the case, setting the netmask and gateway explictly will help. If
          that's not the problem, please send me a copy of your SysConf
          partition so I can check if there's another problem.

          Wouter, do you know if this was the case with your config?
          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
            Hi Martin,

            Great site you have! Used it while upgrading to Debian.
            I went from openslug to debianslug with sercomm utility.
            I had static ip, netmask and router as gateway on openslug.
            Went back to openslug after the failing network.
            Same problem, no dhcp, no 192.168.1.77....nothing.
            Used the resetsysconf and working like a charm.

            Greetings

            Wouter

            > You did nothing wrong....yesterday i got exactly the same thing.
            > Flash ok....but no network. Steady amber upper led.
            > Resetsysconf from the wiki was the answer!
            > It resets network settings to dhcp and it's alive again.
            > At 3am pfffff...
            > It's now at this moment installing debian.

            There is a bug in the parsing of the network configuration when you
            use a static network but have not set a netmask or gateway explictly.
            I've fixed this in the development tree. If you (h8dc) think this is
            the case, setting the netmask and gateway explictly will help. If
            that's not the problem, please send me a copy of your SysConf
            partition so I can check if there's another problem.

            Wouter, do you know if this was the case with your config?
            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/

          • Kris Boyle
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
              Wouter,

              > I had static ip, netmask and router as gateway on openslug.

              How do you set your static IP? I hit a problem with OpenSlug where the
              MAC address of my slug changed after flashing. I was using a "static"
              IP served from DHCP making sure that a particular MAC address always
              got the same IP address. When the MAC address changed after flashing
              the IP address changed to one of the IPs from my DHCP pool. It took
              me a couple of reflashes to figure out what happened. I documented this
              in the Wiki (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InitialisingOpenSlug),
              see the second bolded Note: section.

              Not sure this is related to your problem or not ....
              Cheers,
              Kris

              Kris on Gmail ...
            • Wouter Rijkhoff
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
                Hi Kris,

                I used turnup init as stated in the wiki. Static ip/gateway/subnet.
                And have a speedtouch router with clearly visible the network and dhcp pool members. But i allways use static ip's on all machines but dhcp is also enabled.
                The slug did not come up with any ip adress or mac.
                Scanned the ip range. Nothing.
                The mac it had was not changed from openslug to debian and back and again to debian.
                After the resetsysconf the same mac got a ip adres from the dhcp.
                And i could see it in the routerwebinterface.

                Greetings...

                Wouter

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 26, 2006
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                  > There is a bug in the parsing of the network configuration when you
                  > use a static network but have not set a netmask or gateway explictly.
                  > I've fixed this in the development tree. If you (h8dc) think this is
                  > the case, setting the netmask and gateway explictly will help.

                  The netmask and gateway were explicit. Primary DNS was missing so I
                  entered that and tried flashing it again with the same result.

                  > If
                  > that's not the problem, please send me a copy of your SysConf
                  > partition so I can check if there's another problem.

                  Sure. Where do I get that? (sorry - newbie!)
                • h8dc
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 27, 2006
                    Addendum to my post below. Doesn't matter if I use static IP or
                    DHCP, it still hangs with the amber status led after flashing di-
                    nslu2.bin. How do I get a "copy of your SysConf partition" to pass
                    this along?

                    TIA

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "h8dc" <h8dc@...> wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > There is a bug in the parsing of the network configuration when
                    you
                    > > use a static network but have not set a netmask or gateway
                    explictly.
                    > > I've fixed this in the development tree. If you (h8dc) think
                    this is
                    > > the case, setting the netmask and gateway explictly will help.
                    >
                    > The netmask and gateway were explicit. Primary DNS was missing so
                    > entered that and tried flashing it again with the same result.
                    >
                    > > If
                    > > that's not the problem, please send me a copy of your SysConf
                    > > partition so I can check if there's another problem.
                    >
                    > Sure. Where do I get that? (sorry - newbie!)

                  • Provat Bhattacharya
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 27, 2006
                      Same problem I had. Failed to have redboot access too to do reset sys conf.
                      So returned back to original linksys fw. Done a reset sys conf from web interface.
                      Reflashed with debian installer.
                      Now everything is perfect.

                      Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web pour retrouver directement vos services préférés : vérifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos recherches et suivez l'actualité en temps réel. Cliquez ici.
                    • Martin Michlmayr
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 28, 2006
                        * h8dc <h8dc@...> [2006-04-27 23:43]:
                        > Addendum to my post below. Doesn't matter if I use static IP or
                        > DHCP, it still hangs with the amber status led after flashing di-
                        > nslu2.bin. How do I get a "copy of your SysConf partition" to pass
                        > this along?

                        If both static IP and DHCP don't work it's not a network configuration
                        problem. Unfortunately, from your description I've no idea what it
                        might be.
                        --
                        Martin Michlmayr
                        http://www.cyrius.com/
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 28, 2006
                          Two days ago I flashed the slug from unslung 6.8 to debian following
                          the instructions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/.
                          Works perfect over here.
                          After flashing I had to figure out the IP address: in unslung I used
                          the standard static address 192.168.1.77. No definitions on my router.
                          After flashing debian dhcp was suddenly used but the IP address could
                          easily be found by viewing the dhcp assigned addresses table on my
                          router.

                          Adriaan

                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                          > * h8dc <h8dc@...> [2006-04-27 23:43]:
                          > > Addendum to my post below. Doesn't matter if I use static IP or
                          > > DHCP, it still hangs with the amber status led after flashing di-
                          > > nslu2.bin. How do I get a "copy of your SysConf partition" to
                          pass
                          > > this along?
                          >
                          > If both static IP and DHCP don't work it's not a network
                          configuration
                          > problem. Unfortunately, from your description I've no idea what it
                          > might be.
                          > --
                          > Martin Michlmayr
                          > http://www.cyrius.com/

                        • h8dc
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 28, 2006
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                            > If both static IP and DHCP don't work it's not a network
                            > configuration problem. Unfortunately, from your description I've
                            no > idea what it might be.
                            > --
                            > Martin Michlmayr
                            > http://www.cyrius.com/

                            It's been an interesting exercise in futility. :-)

                            I went on a flashing spree today just to see what I can discover.

                            I can successfully flash (i.e. the NSLU2 rebooted after upgrade):
                            Linksys firmware (both V23R29 and V23R63).
                            Unslung-6.8-beta
                            OpenSlug-2.7-beta

                            Rebooted fine on all of those.

                            Still hangs (with amber status LED) on the di-nslu2.bin file from
                            the debian-etch-beta2-20060311.zip on slug-firmware.net.

                            Oh, I did the ResetSysConf thing too to no avail (with static and
                            DHCP settings).

                            I think I'll lay low for a while, until something else comes out or
                            someone has an idea of the probable cause. :)

                            Quite the conundrum!

                            Thanks,
                            h8dc
                          • h8dc
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 28, 2006
                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                              > If both static IP and DHCP don't work it's not a network
                              > configuration problem. Unfortunately, from your description I've
                              no > idea what it might be.
                              > --
                              > Martin Michlmayr
                              > http://www.cyrius.com/

                              It's been an interesting exercise in futility. :-)

                              I went on a flashing spree today just to see what I can discover.

                              I can successfully flash (i.e. the NSLU2 rebooted after upgrade):
                              Linksys firmware (both V23R29 and V23R63).
                              Unslung-6.8-beta
                              OpenSlug-2.7-beta

                              Rebooted fine on all of those.

                              Still hangs (with amber status LED) on the di-nslu2.bin file from
                              the debian-etch-beta2-20060311.zip on slug-firmware.net.

                              Oh, I did the ResetSysConf thing too to no avail (with static and
                              DHCP settings).

                              I think I'll lay low for a while, until something else comes out or
                              someone has an idea of the probable cause. :)

                              Quite the conundrum!

                              Thanks,
                              h8dc
                            • nyk
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 29, 2006
                                On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:34:05PM -0000, h8dc wrote:
                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > If both static IP and DHCP don't work it's not a network
                                > > configuration problem. Unfortunately, from your description I've
                                > no > idea what it might be.
                                > > --
                                > > Martin Michlmayr
                                > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                                >
                                > It's been an interesting exercise in futility. :-)
                                >
                                > I went on a flashing spree today just to see what I can discover.

                                You've probably already tried this, but I sussed out what was happening
                                by running [t]ethereal on another box on the same network segment and
                                watching (particularly) the ARP packets. Well, it was a laptop on the
                                end of a xover cable.^_^

                                You might even try poking it with arping.

                                hth
                                Nyk

                                --
                                /__
                                \_|\/
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 29, 2006
                                  But what's the problem????
                                  The light is solid amber. That's OK
                                  Is it just finding the IP address the slug is using?
                                  Do you have a dhcp server in your network?

                                  In my opinion, the install of debian works like a charm, it's just
                                  the network config with dhcp that's confusing.

                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, nyk <nyk@...> wrote:

                                  > On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:34:05PM -0000, h8dc wrote:
                                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > > If both static IP and DHCP don't work it's not a network
                                  > > > configuration problem. Unfortunately, from your description
                                  I've
                                  > > no > idea what it might be.
                                  > > > --
                                  > > > Martin Michlmayr
                                  > > > http://www.cyrius.com/
                                  > >
                                  > > It's been an interesting exercise in futility. :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > I went on a flashing spree today just to see what I can discover.
                                  > >

                                  > You've probably already tried this, but I sussed out what was
                                  happening
                                  > by running [t]ethereal on another box on the same network segment
                                  and
                                  > watching (particularly) the ARP packets. Well, it was a laptop on
                                  the
                                  > end of a xover cable.^_^
                                  >
                                  > You might even try poking it with arping.
                                  >
                                  > hth
                                  > Nyk
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > /__
                                  > \_|\/
                                  > /\

                                • h8dc
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 29, 2006
                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Adriaan" <ItsAnotherLlama@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > But what's the problem????
                                    > The light is solid amber. That's OK

                                    Yo Adriaan! Thank you! Initially, I couldn't communicate with the
                                    Slug after flashing di-nslu2.bin. That was my problem the whole
                                    time. Couldn't ping it or ssh to it. Tried many times to talk to it,
                                    to no avail, but I finally was able to talk to it today and complete
                                    the installation.

                                    Debianslug is up and running here now. Lessons learned - ignore the
                                    LEDs and have patience. :)
                                  • Martin Michlmayr
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
                                      * h8dc <h8dc@...> [2006-04-29 21:23]:
                                      > Yo Adriaan! Thank you! Initially, I couldn't communicate with the
                                      > Slug after flashing di-nslu2.bin. That was my problem the whole
                                      > time. Couldn't ping it or ssh to it. Tried many times to talk to
                                      > it, to no avail, but I finally was able to talk to it today and
                                      > complete the installation.
                                      >
                                      > Debianslug is up and running here now. Lessons learned - ignore the
                                      > LEDs and have patience. :)

                                      So, basically, you just had to wait longer than 5 minutes for SSH to
                                      become available? Any idea how long it roughly took?
                                      --
                                      Martin Michlmayr
                                      http://www.cyrius.com/
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
                                        Martin,

                                        There is really a problem concerning the network after flashing
                                        debianinstaller. I did let it run a whole night and still no network. With
                                        the resetsysconf it was nicely running in 5 min.
                                        If you consider it a non issue which I got from your reply the problem
                                        remains. Maybe you could point to the solution on you website?

                                        Greetings,

                                        Wouter

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
                                          * Wouter Rijkhoff <wouter@...> [2006-04-30 23:17]:
                                          > There is really a problem concerning the network after flashing
                                          > debianinstaller. I did let it run a whole night and still no
                                          > network. With the resetsysconf it was nicely running in 5 min.

                                          Well, there's certainly one known bug: if you have a static IP
                                          configuration, but you didn't specify all information (e.g. network,
                                          gateway) then the networking will not come up.

                                          However, if this is *not* the case and resetsysconf helps, there must
                                          be another bug (that I'm not yet aware of). I really need the SysConf
                                          partition before running resetsysconf in such a case so I can debug
                                          it.
                                          --
                                          Martin Michlmayr
                                          http://www.cyrius.com/
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
                                            Maybe if you post the commands to retrieve that information someone could
                                            help us out?

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
                                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                                              > So, basically, you just had to wait longer than 5 minutes for SSH
                                              > become available?

                                              No. It was available sooner. Mea culpa. My inexperience was the
                                              problem [hanging head in shame]. You see, I expected the same sort
                                              of events to happen when booting Unslung, OpenSlug or a stock NSLU2
                                              (progressive pattern of LEDS, beeps, etc). Didn't get those (just
                                              the amber status LED) so I thought something was wrong. Plus, I
                                              couldn't communicate with it initially probably because I had
                                              wrong/missing settings for the static IP (as you suggested) or I had
                                              something else screwed up somewhere. Who knows. I tried several
                                              combinations of things until Adriaan gave me the knock on the head I
                                              needed - ignore the LEDS and wait 'til its available. So I did that
                                              and was able to get in.

                                              It's running fine. Still got the amber status LED, no Disk LEDs are
                                              lit even though they're plugged in and running. Been running it all
                                              day - no problems.

                                              > Any idea how long it roughly took?

                                              I just timed it now - 2 minutes 15 seconds from reboot to logging in
                                              via SSH.

                                              Thanks all!
                                            • Martin Michlmayr
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
                                                * Wouter Rijkhoff <wouter@...> [2006-04-30 23:38]:
                                                > Maybe if you post the commands to retrieve that information someone could
                                                > help us out?

                                                It's just a copy of /dev/mtdblock<n> where n is I think 1. The file
                                                /proc/mtd will tell you which number to use.
                                                --
                                                Martin Michlmayr
                                                http://www.cyrius.com/
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006