thttpd on nslu2 - security

  • janne5011
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2006
      Hi, this page:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SimpleHomeWebsite
      explains how to set up the thttpd.
      In the conf-file I have this line:

      nochroot

      but I notice at the thttpd homepage found here

      http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/options.html

      that this option is more secure

      ALWAYS_CHROOT
      meaning that if its enabled the website directory is the only directory
      a visitor can "see".
      (As it works the default errorpage comes up if ones mispell the url.)

      But when I tried ALWAYS_CHROOT my sever is dead.I assume this have
      something to do with the nslu2 itself since at the httpd homepage the
      ALWAYS_CHROOT
      option is mentioned.

      So, finally the question is: should I worry and is it possible to
      configure it on nslu2 with ALWAYS_CHROOT, if this is something to care
      about...?
      or have I completly misunderstood something here =)?.
      sorry my English is not English hope you understand me =)

      thanks
      janne5011