Re: [nslu2-linux] ipkg-cl update, "no space left on device" = brick?

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
      Well, it's not a brick, technically.  But the flash is filled up, and you will have to reflash in order to recover the unit.

      Once you reflash, you still have some cleanup to do.  Frankly, the easiest way would be to reformat the hard drive to a single FAT or NTFS partition (thus forcing the NSLU2 format operation to actually reformat the disk when you get to that step0, and redo the whole thing.

      But it would be technically possible to change the root password on the flash, copy it to the right places on the hard drive, create the correct "flag" file on the flash, and recover it.

      BTW, in order to add a user on Unslung -- add the user via the Linksys web gui.  Then edit the password file as you did before to add teh home directory and a shell -- and you're pretty much done.  The editor will follow the symbolic link, and the password file will be changed in the correct spot, whereever that might happen to be on your NSLU2.  No need to copy it about on a stable, already unslung system.

      Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
        Thanks Mike. I did add the user "bill" through the web
        interface (I received some good input last week on how
        to add a user, which I followed), including the
        setting of the password. Did not touch root during the
        process.

        Will try this one more time.

        Bill

        http://mail.yahoo.com