Hooking up a dvd burner?

  • Brandon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      I been looking for a inevpensive way to share my usb dvd burner with a
      couple pc's on my network and was wondering if I could somehow use the
      nslu2?
    • mrkzander
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
        I don't think there is any way to 'share' your usb DVD burner as
        you would 'share' something in the Windows world on your NSLU2.
        You can connect a USB DVD burner and burn discs with it 'though.
        See
        <<http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/AddExternalCDROMorDVD>>
        to learn how to connect your DVD and then
        <<http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/RecordCDROMandDVD>>
        to get it to burn some DVD's.

        zander.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon" <bkgarner@...> wrote:

        > I been looking for a inevpensive way to share my usb dvd burner
        with a
        > couple pc's on my network and was wondering if I could somehow use
        the
        > nslu2?

      • Yuri Vasilevski
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006

          On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:20:15 -0000
          "mrkzander" <mark_zander@...> wrote:

          > I don't think there is any way to 'share' your usb DVD burner as
          > you would 'share' something in the Windows world on your NSLU2.

          I think he could use NBD (Network Block Device) [1] to share the
          burner, but personally I don't see any benefit in doing that versus
          something like:
          you@desktop $ mkisofs -some -parameters | ssh you@nslu2 "cdrecord -some -parameters -data -"

          Yuri.

          [1] http://nbd.sourceforge.net/
        • zamz909
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006

            > I think he could use NBD (Network Block Device) [1] to share the
            > burner, but personally I don't see any benefit in doing that versus
            > something like:
            > you@desktop $ mkisofs -some -parameters | ssh you@nslu2 "cdrecord
            -some -parameters -data -"

            Another way is to set up a directory where you can drop iso files
            which will then be picked up for processing to the burner.

            Not really sharing the drive, but the most 'auto' thing I can think of.