Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Dirvish for backups. No unslung package, why?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      I've just installed BackupPC (backuppc.sf.net) at work, and I'm wondering if it will just work on the slug too - it's also just perl scripts and ssh/rsync.

      -- Rod
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:33, Rod Whitby wrote:
        > I've just installed BackupPC (backuppc.sf.net) at work, and I'm wondering
        > if it will just work on the slug too - it's also just perl scripts and
        > ssh/rsync.

        BackupPC is nice, but can eat a LOT of memory. Also, make sure you turn
        compression off or set it to a very fast level (having the slug bzip2ing is
        no fun at all). We use it at work too, but I've had cases where it was
        swapping 200 megs to disk (on a 256MB dedicated P3 backup machine). Then
        again we have literally millions of files, so it might not apply in general
        (perl in my experience is very generous on allocating memory but not too keen
        on releasing it).
      • bloedmann999
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 15, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Frederic Wenzel <fred@> wrote:
          > >
          > > bloedmann999 schrieb:
          > > > I just installed rsync on my WinXP box, and using rsync from the
          Slug
          > > > (unslung V5.5) it seems to work pretty well. So I was reading about
          > > > Dirvish as a very comfortable way to do backups, using rsync on the
          > > > client also. Looked at the unslung packages and don't see dirvish
          > > > anywhere. I'm surprised that no one has yet had a need for this.
          > >
          > > I could use it, too :)
          > >
          > > > I could just have cron run my rsync
          > > > scripts regularly, but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
          > > > features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
          > > > sets etc. etc. etc.
          > >
          > > This is a feature of rsync, however Dirvish is just supposed to be a
          > > frontend for rsync, as far as I remember. It is indeed better than
          just
          > > regular rsync because it also does the cleanup of old backups etc.
          > >
          > > Do you want to make a dirvish package for us?
          > >
          > > Fred
          > >
          > Well after reading some more about Dirvish I saw it is just a set of
          > scripts. So I installed the prereq Perl modules and then installed
          > dirvish. And although I have only got it to work so far locally on the
          > Slug, it does actually work OK. My problems concern using SSH as the
          > transport from the remote machines, and Dirvish itself. But I may get
          > a chance to work on them this weekend.
          > Cheers Brian

          After re-formatting my disk due to a crash, re-unslinging, and re
          installing everything I seem to have Dirvish working correctly on my
          unslung v5.5 Slug. Currently not using SSH as all the stuff I am doing
          is local in my own home network.