unSlung 5.5 gcc howto

  • CN
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2006
      I have unSlung 5.5. Up until now I never had a need to use gcc under it. Now I
      have a tiny program I need to compile under gcc.

      How do I get gcc installed on unSlung 5.5? ipkg list does not show any gcc. Any
      suggestions?

      Cordially, Chacko
    • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2006
        On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:05:33AM -0800, CN wrote:

        > I have unSlung 5.5. Up until now I never had a need to use gcc under it. Now I
        > have a tiny program I need to compile under gcc.
        >
        > How do I get gcc installed on unSlung 5.5? ipkg list does not show any gcc. Any
        > suggestions?

        You can install the following packages on the slug:
        crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-5
        crosstool-native-arch-bin - 0.28-rc37-5
        crosstool-native-arch-inc - 0.28-rc37-5
        crosstool-native-arch-lib - 0.28-rc37-5
        crosstool-native-bin - 0.28-rc37-5
        crosstool-native-inc - 0.28-rc37-5
        crosstool-native-lib - 0.28-rc37-5

        Nut i would recomend to setup a crossbuild enviroment on a normal
        i386 linux system.

        Marceln
      • bill suit
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2006
          --- CN <t4chacko@...> wrote:

          > I have unSlung 5.5. Up until now I never had a need
          > to use gcc under it. Now I
          > have a tiny program I need to compile under gcc.
          >
          > How do I get gcc installed on unSlung 5.5? ipkg
          > list does not show any gcc. Any
          > suggestions?
          >
          > Cordially, Chacko

          I believe the following will get you a gcc (along with
          some other apps):

          ipkg install unslung-devel

          HTH,
          Bill

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • bill suit
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2006
            --- nslu2@... wrote:

            > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:05:33AM -0800, CN wrote:

            > > How do I get gcc installed on unSlung 5.5? ipkg
            > list does not show any gcc. Any
            > > suggestions?
            >
            > You can install the following packages on the slug:
            > crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-5
            > crosstool-native-arch-bin - 0.28-rc37-5
            > crosstool-native-arch-inc - 0.28-rc37-5
            > crosstool-native-arch-lib - 0.28-rc37-5
            > crosstool-native-bin - 0.28-rc37-5
            > crosstool-native-inc - 0.28-rc37-5
            > crosstool-native-lib - 0.28-rc37-5
            >
            > Nut i would recomend to setup a crossbuild
            > enviroment on a normal
            > i386 linux system.
            >
            > Marceln

            Has anyone documented how to setup a cross-compile
            system yet? I've seen the howto page, but it's not yet
            filled out.

            Bill

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Marcel Nijenhof
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2006
              On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 04:35 -0800, bill suit wrote:

              > Has anyone documented how to setup a cross-compile
              > system yet? I've seen the howto page, but it's not yet
              > filled out.

              Have a look at:
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

              But really short the answer is:
              mkdir slug;cd slug
              cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/nslu co unslung
              make directories toolchain

              Marceln
            • bill suit
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2006
                Thank you Marcel. Bill

                --- Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 04:35 -0800, bill suit wrote:
                >

                > > Has anyone documented how to setup a cross-compile
                > > system yet? I've seen the howto page, but it's not
                > yet
                > > filled out.
                > >

                > Have a look at:

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

                > But really short the answer is:
                > mkdir slug;cd slug
                > cvs -z3

                -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/nslu
                > co unslung
                > make directories toolchain
                >
                > Marceln

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • CN
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
                  On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:36:04 +0200, nslu2@... wrote:

                  > You can install the following packages on the slug:
                  > crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-5
                  > crosstool-native-arch-bin - 0.28-rc37-5
                  > crosstool-native-arch-inc - 0.28-rc37-5
                  > crosstool-native-arch-lib - 0.28-rc37-5
                  > crosstool-native-bin - 0.28-rc37-5
                  > crosstool-native-inc - 0.28-rc37-5
                  > crosstool-native-lib - 0.28-rc37-5
                  >
                  > Nut i would recomend to setup a crossbuild enviroment on a normal
                  > i386 linux system.
                  >
                  > Marceln

                  I like your recommendation.

                  Is there a cross compile package for Cygwin. I have cygwin already setup under winxp. I do not have a native linux system, I can easy modify

                  Cordially, Chacko
                • CN
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
                    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:29:52 -0800 (PST), bill suit wrote:

                    > I believe the following will get you a gcc (along with
                    > some other apps):
                    >
                    > ipkg install unslung-devel
                    >
                    > HTH,
                    > Bill

                    Thank you, Bill. I would not have guessed that name!! I have some extra space,
                    so this might be the fastest way for me to get there... Is there a ipkg command
                    with which I can find the approx size of all the modules going to be installed?

                    Before seeing this msg, I had already rewritten my tiny utilitly in php :) But gcc is
                    nice to have around.

                    Cordially, Chacko
                  • Marcel Nijenhof
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
                      On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 13:11 -0800, CN wrote:

                      > Is there a cross compile package for Cygwin. I have cygwin already
                      > setup under winxp. I do not have a native linux system, I can easy
                      > modify

                      Probably that won't work.

                      The windows filesystem is completely different so you would get
                      problems with posix permisions on all of your files.

                      But you could use vmware player or colinux as sugested in:
                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile

                      Marceln
                    • bill suit
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
                        I don't know the answer to that one. This link will
                        show you a list of what's included though.

                        http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=unslung-devel&official=&format=

                        HTH,
                        Bill

                        --- CN <t4chacko@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:29:52 -0800 (PST), bill suit
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > I believe the following will get you a gcc (along
                        > with
                        > > some other apps):
                        > >
                        > > ipkg install unslung-devel
                        > >
                        > > HTH,
                        > > Bill
                        >
                        > Thank you, Bill. I would not have guessed that
                        > name!! I have some extra space,
                        > so this might be the fastest way for me to get
                        > there... Is there a ipkg command
                        > with which I can find the approx size of all the
                        > modules going to be installed?
                        >
                        > Before seeing this msg, I had already rewritten my
                        > tiny utilitly in php :) But gcc is
                        > nice to have around.
                        >
                        > Cordially, Chacko
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • CN
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
                          On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:49:52 -0800 (PST), bill suit wrote:

                          > I don't know the answer to that one. This link will
                          > show you a list of what's included though.
                          >
                          > http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=unslung-devel&official=&format=
                          >
                          > HTH,
                          > Bill

                          I read in one of the msgs here, that the devel pkg better be installed right after unslinging, because there might be conflicts with other utils!! Now I am reluctant to try this, because I have installed a lot of other pkgs already and have been customizing the unSlung for some server application. Too much effort has been installed to take a risk :(

                          Cordially, Chacko
                        • Adam Baker
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
                            CN <t4chacko@...> writes:

                            > Is there a cross compile package for Cygwin. I have cygwin already setup
                            > under winxp. I do not have a native linux system, I can easy modify
                            >
                            > Cordially, Chacko

                            I haven't seen any reports of success building the unslung build system under
                            cygwin but then I haven't seen any reports of failure either. I use the same
                            cross compiler build system (targetting a power pc, not the slug) succesfully at
                            work under XP although it does seem a bit slower than running on Linux so it
                            would be worth a try.