How do I add a "user"?

  • bill suit
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
      My goal is to make the slug at least a slimserver.
      Along the way I have installed unslung-devel, bash
      (which I can't figure out how to start using) and now
      I want to add user "bill".

      ssh'd into the slug (unslung 5.5) I tried "useradd"
      and "adduser". Both commands were unknown to the ash
      shell.

      I then did:

      # ipkg install adduser
      Installing adduser (1.00-4) to root...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/adduser_1.00-4_armeb.ipk
      An error ocurred, return value: 1.
      Collected errors:
      Package adduser wants to install file /opt/bin/su
      But that file is already provided by package
      coreutils

      What do I do from here?

      TIA,
      Bill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
        Bill,

          I'd recommend that you do the Linksys thing, and add the user using the Linksys web-based GUI.

          Once you do that, you'll have all the necessary "thingies" created in all the places Linksys needs it to be.  You just have to tweak the created user so that it works as a login user.

          As I recall, you'll need to create a home directory for the new user, and you'll need to edit the passwd file (carefully!) to give the new user record for "bill" a home directory path, and a shell to use.

        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
          On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 14:22 -0800, bill suit wrote:

          > bash (which I can't figure out how to start using)

          make sure /opt/bin/bash is listed in /etc/shells, and edit the line
          beginning 'root:' in /etc/passwd, replacing /bin/sh with /opt/bin/bash
          then logout and login again, or just type bash at the command prompt.
        • Gerald L. Clark
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 29, 2006
            Peter Campion-Bye wrote:
            > On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 14:22 -0800, bill suit wrote:
            >
            >> bash (which I can't figure out how to start using)
            >
            > make sure /opt/bin/bash is listed in /etc/shells, and edit the line
            > beginning 'root:' in /etc/passwd, replacing /bin/sh with /opt/bin/bash
            > then logout and login again, or just type bash at the command prompt.

            I would recommend against this.
            Never change the root account.
            If you make a mistake you are up the creek without a paddle.
            Create a new root access account with the shell you want.
          • Frederic Wenzel
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2006
              Gerald L. Clark schrieb:
              >>> bash (which I can't figure out how to start using)
              >> make sure /opt/bin/bash is listed in /etc/shells, and edit the line
              >> beginning 'root:' in /etc/passwd, replacing /bin/sh with /opt/bin/bash
              >> then logout and login again, or just type bash at the command prompt.
              >>
              > I would recommend against this.
              > Never change the root account.
              > If you make a mistake you are up the creek without a paddle.
              > Create a new root access account with the shell you want.

              I would not recommend this either. It's like making a second big
              entrance to an important building that you have to keep secure.

              Why don't you login as root and use the command 'chsh' to change the
              login shell? That should be pretty secure. Or, of course, logging in and
              typing 'bash' as the first command, if you don't mind the extra typing
              and don't want to mess with any additional config files.

              Fred
            • bill suit
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2006
                Thanks Mike. I'm so used to CLI I forgot all about the
                web interface. Bill

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 30, 2006
                  Thank you Peter. Just what I was looking for. Bill

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 30, 2006
                    Thanks Gerald, good point. Bill

                    --- "Gerald L. Clark" <gerald_clark@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Peter Campion-Bye wrote:
                    > > On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 14:22 -0800, bill suit
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> bash (which I can't figure out how to start
                    > using)
                    > >
                    > > make sure /opt/bin/bash is listed in /etc/shells,
                    > and edit the line
                    > > beginning 'root:' in /etc/passwd, replacing
                    > /bin/sh with /opt/bin/bash
                    > > then logout and login again, or just type bash at
                    > the command prompt.
                    > >

                    > I would recommend against this.
                    > Never change the root account.
                    > If you make a mistake you are up the creek without a
                    > paddle.
                    > Create a new root access account with the shell you
                    > want.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • lance_benson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 30, 2006
                      Bill,

                      Here is a howto I wrote to install the gcc compiler to compile and
                      run a simple "Hello, World" C program. It includes the method I
                      used to add a user--much more complicated that I would have
                      believed. You appear already to have gone through some of the
                      steps, or similar ones.

                      ----------

                      Howto compile simple C program

                      NSLU2 "Hello, World" C Program on unslung 5.5

                      Here is how I managed to set up the NSLU2 to natively compile a
                      simple "Hello, World" C program.
                      I've tried to put in enough detail so that someone who doesn't know
                      linux well can follow.
                      This is at a very simple level for linux experts, but others may
                      find it helpful.

                      This document gives sample use of these commands or programs: ipkg
                      DO_Reboot ps mkdir chown vi cat login pwd printenv gcc ls

                      To find the documentation for any of the commands used here, search
                      on the web, e.g. for "man mkdir".

                      Immediately after unslinging and rebooting (because of conflicts
                      when other packages had been installed first) telnet in and install
                      the native compilation package

                      # ipkg update
                      # ipkg install unslung-feeds (if you haven't already done this)
                      # ipkg update
                      # ipkg install unslung-devel (this may take 15-20 minutes on a
                      de-underclocked slug)
                      (this in accordance with
                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativelyCompileUnslungPackages)

                      To make sure that the gcc compiler was installed properly,
                      type "find / -name gcc". It should be in /opt/bin.

                      Now follow the rest of the suggestions for setting up a user account
                      to run your C compiler from (so you don't mess with the root
                      directories).

                      In the Linksys interface, create a new user, e.g., xyz. On the
                      slug, the passwd command would enforce a complex password, with
                      upper and lower case letter and numbers, so here you might use
                      something like "xyz0Xyz".

                      Next get secure access by installing dropbear

                      # ipkg install dropbear (to run SSH daemon:
                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseDropBearForRemoteAccess)

                      Record the md5 fingerprints for confirmation later, something like
                      md5 55:4f:d9:93:02:98:d7:20:1b:da:bc:cc:2b:52:49:f4

                      reboot (# DO_Reboot), telnet back in, and check to see that
                      dropbear is running
                      (# ps -ef and look for something like "692 root 1628 S dropbear")

                      Now install an SSH client like Putty (for a Windows PC). Download
                      and install from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

                      Start Putty and connect to your slug, e.g. to 192.168.1.77. If the
                      connection succeeds Putty will give you the md5 number that it found
                      on the slug--it should match the first of the two that you recorded
                      earlier. If it does press <Enter> and your secure connection
                      should be complete. Sign in as root with the password you
                      established when you unslung.

                      Now continue setting up the user account. When you created user xyz
                      with the Linksys interface, it put it in your public directory,
                      e.g. /public/xyz (which is an alias for /share/hdd/data/public).
                      You may, instead, want it someplace that is not shared on your net.
                      Following one of many possible linux conventions, the following
                      creates the directory in /home/user, and creates src and bin
                      directories for the C source and the executable (binary) program:

                      # mkdir /home/user/xyz
                      # mkdir /home/user/xyz/src
                      # mkdir /home/user/xyz/bin

                      To make xyz the owner of this directory, and its contents:

                      # chown -R xyz /home/user/xyz

                      In order to give xyz a way to execute the gcc compiler which you
                      have installed, and other programs, create a file called .profile
                      (Commands for the vi editor may be found at
                      http://www.chem.brown.edu/instructions/vi.html):

                      # vi /home/user/xyz/.profile
                      ("i" enters insert mode,
                      type "PATH=/bin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/home/user/xyz/bin"
                      (without quotes), <ESC>, ZZ (to save and exit))

                      Next modify the password file to change the home directory of xyz,
                      and to use the bash shell

                      # vi /etc/passwd

                      Edit the xyz line to replace the text after the second-to-last colon
                      (":") with "/home/user/xyz:/sbin/bash"

                      When you've exited vi, you can use the following command to print
                      the file to the screen to see that it looks right

                      # cat /etc/passwd

                      Now you can login to xyz and enter your password

                      # login xyz

                      To make sure that you are in the user directory

                      # pwd
                      /home/user/xyz (should be the response)

                      To make sure that your path is correct

                      # printenv (should include:
                      PATH=/bin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/home/user/xyz/bin)

                      Now you can create your source file

                      # vi src/hello.c (enter insert mode, type "int main() { printf
                      ("Hello, World\n"); return(0); }", <ESC> ZZ<Enter> to save and exit)
                      # gcc src/hello.c -o bin/hello
                      # ls -l bin (should tell you that "hello" is in bin, it is
                      owned by xyz, and is executable for owner, group, and everyone
                      # hello (this should run the program)
                      Hello, World (this should be the program's output)

                      Now you should be able to create C programs, simple and not so
                      simple. More complex programs can be built with make, and the
                      slug's much more complicated packages can be built natively,
                      although crosscompilation is the recommended method. This process
                      used many of the basic linux commands that I have learned in trying
                      to figure out my way into linux for the first time.

                      Amendments and elaborations invited.
                    • bill suit
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 30, 2006
                        Thank you Lance. A lot of good info here. Bill

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • gerald_clark@mindspring.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
                          >>> make sure /opt/bin/bash is listed in /etc/shells, and edit the line
                          >>> beginning 'root:' in /etc/passwd, replacing /bin/sh with /opt/bin/bash
                          >>> then logout and login again, or just type bash at the command prompt.
                          >>>
                          >> I would recommend against this.
                          >> Never change the root account.
                          >> If you make a mistake you are up the creek without a paddle.
                          >> Create a new root access account with the shell you want.
                          >
                          >I would not recommend this either. It's like making a second big
                          >entrance to an important building that you have to keep secure.
                          >
                          >Why don't you login as root and use the command 'chsh' to change the
                          >login shell? That should be pretty secure. Or, of course, logging in and
                          >typing 'bash' as the first command, if you don't mind the extra typing
                          >and don't want to mess with any additional config files.
                          >
                          >Fred

                          Just be careful not to change the /etc/password in your jffs, or you will not be able to login it the USB drive does not mount.
                        • bill suit
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
                            --- Frederic Wenzel <fred@...> wrote:
                            > the command prompt.
                            > >>
                            > > I would recommend against this.
                            > > Never change the root account.
                            > > If you make a mistake you are up the creek without
                            > a paddle.
                            > > Create a new root access account with the shell
                            > you want.
                            >
                            > I would not recommend this either. It's like making
                            > a second big
                            > entrance to an important building that you have to
                            > keep secure.
                            >
                            > Why don't you login as root and use the command
                            > 'chsh' to change the
                            > login shell? That should be pretty secure. Or, of
                            > course, logging in and
                            > typing 'bash' as the first command, if you don't
                            > mind the extra typing
                            > and don't want to mess with any additional config
                            > files.
                            >
                            > Fred

                            That sounds like good sage advice. Thanks Fred. Bill

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 31, 2006
                              --- gerald_clark@... wrote:
                              > keep secure.
                              > >
                              > >Why don't you login as root and use the command
                              > 'chsh' to change the
                              > >login shell? That should be pretty secure. Or, of
                              > course, logging in and
                              > >typing 'bash' as the first command, if you don't
                              > mind the extra typing
                              > >and don't want to mess with any additional config
                              > files.
                              > >
                              > >Fred
                              > >
                              > Just be careful not to change the /etc/password in
                              > your jffs, or you will not be able to login it the
                              > USB drive does not mount.

                              Another good point. Thanks again Gerald. Bill

                              http://mail.yahoo.com