Re: How to build crosstool-0.28-rc32 for NSLU2 Linux development

  • Roy M. Silvernail
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
      Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

      > I've currently got Rod's UNSLUNG-1.8-V23R25.bin image up and running,
      > but would like to compile a local copy successfully.

      And I do now... 1.9 runs just fine.
    • Jwahar Bammi
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Has anyone succeed with this procedure on Fedora FC3?
        I followed this procedure twice (to make sure), and the build fails
        when it is building glibc, with the following message

        armv5b-softfloat-linux/bin/ld: cannot represent machine `arm:linux'

        (this error occurs in the step where it is building crt1.o)

        (this same happens when i follow the Howto to build oe based
        unslung-image -- it tries to build the cross tools, and fails with the
        same message at the same point. This leads me to suspect something in
        the Fedora FC3 setup is throwing bot these procedures off. (I have
        checked and doubled checked all the setting, unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
        C_INCLUDE_PATH etc))

        any comments much appreciated.

        cheers,
        ++jrb

        http://www.knowledgemessaging.com/nslu2/gcc-3.3.2-arm-softfloat.patch

        > 6/ Put the patch in the patches/gcc-3.3.3 directory (yes, I know the
        > patch says 3.3.2 - put it in the 3.3.3 directory anyway). Don't try
        > and apply it manually or anything like that - just put it there and
        > leave it alone.
        >
        > 7/ Change directory into the crosstool-0.28-rc32 directory.
        >
        > 8/ Type "sh demo-nslu2.sh" and wait for a long time (yes it could be
        hours).

        > 9/ Add the
        /opt/crosstool/armv5b-softfloat-linux/gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.2.5/bin
        > directory to your PATH. Verify that you can run
        > "armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc --version".
        >
        > This process was worked out by Benoit on Aug 17
        > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/message/422), and has been
        > followed successfully by at least 10 different people since then. So
        > if you have problems, it's not because of crosstool or the patch (and
        > no, you shouldn't try a different version if you can't get this
        > version to work). Look to your own actions first.
        >
        > If you have problems (and have followed this exact procedure twice
        > with the same result), then post your complete Linux O/S details, the
        > URLs and md5sums of all the files you downloaded (including the
        > demo-nslu2.sh file you detached from this message), the *exact*
        > commands you typed (yes, every single one of them, cut and pasted from
        > your shell window), and the error messages (again, cut and pasted from
        > your shell window).
        >
        > Have fun!
        >
        > [Did I mention that you have to use crosstool version 0.28-rc32? I
        did? Good.]

        > #!/bin/sh
        > set -ex
        > TARBALLS_DIR=$HOME/downloads
        > RESULT_TOP=/opt/crosstool
        > export TARBALLS_DIR RESULT_TOP
        > GCC_LANGUAGES="c,c++"
        > export GCC_LANGUAGES
        >
        > # Really, you should do the mkdir before running this,
        > # and chown /opt/crosstool to yourself so you don't need to run as root.
        > mkdir -p $RESULT_TOP
        >
        > # Build the toolchain. Takes a couple hours and a couple gigabytes.
        >
        > eval `cat armv5b-softfloat.dat gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.2.5.dat` sh all.sh
        --notest

        > echo Done.
      • mark5segal
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          Did you try "crosstool-0.28-rc35"? I got it built on FC3 and Gentoo.