Dirvish for backups. No unslung package, why?

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
      I just installed rsync on my WinXP box, and using rsync from the Slug
      (unslung V5.5) it seems to work pretty well. So I was reading about
      Dirvish as a very comfortable way to do backups, using rsync on the
      client also. Looked at the unslung packages and don't see dirvish
      anywhere. I'm surprised that no one has yet had a need for this. Or
      are there other better solutions to have the Slug itself backup other
      machines? Currently I need to backup 3 PCs that are all locally
      attached in the same ethernet. I could just have cron run my rsync
      scripts regularly, but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
      features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
      sets etc. etc. etc.

      Cheers Brian
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
        On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 13:47 +0000, bloedmann999 wrote:

        > but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
        > features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
        > sets etc. etc. etc.

        This is really a feature of "rsync".

        Rsync has the option "--link-dest". This option creates a
        new dir with al the current files. But if files are the
        same they will be hardlinked from "--link-dest" and not
        transported over the network.

        --
        Marceln
      • Rabbit@Net
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
          Hi Ingemar,

          thanks for your reply. Well, it looks like I am going to order my NSLU2 on
          monday. *bg*
          Well, about the security issue I haven't thought yet, I have to say. But
          as you pointed out, there is sertainly a risk. Thanks for telling me.

          Anyone else here with some important tips for a newby?

          Greetins from Germany,
          Rabbit@Net

          Am 25.03.2006, 15:01 Uhr, schrieb Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...>:

          > On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 13:47 +0000, bloedmann999 wrote:
          >
          >> but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
          >> features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
          >> sets etc. etc. etc.
          >
          > This is really a feature of "rsync".
          >
          > Rsync has the option "--link-dest". This option creates a
          > new dir with al the current files. But if files are the
          > same they will be hardlinked from "--link-dest" and not
          > transported over the network.

        • Frederic Wenzel
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
            bloedmann999 schrieb:
            > I just installed rsync on my WinXP box, and using rsync from the Slug
            > (unslung V5.5) it seems to work pretty well. So I was reading about
            > Dirvish as a very comfortable way to do backups, using rsync on the
            > client also. Looked at the unslung packages and don't see dirvish
            > anywhere. I'm surprised that no one has yet had a need for this.

            I could use it, too :)

            > I could just have cron run my rsync
            > scripts regularly, but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
            > features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
            > sets etc. etc. etc.

            This is a feature of rsync, however Dirvish is just supposed to be a
            frontend for rsync, as far as I remember. It is indeed better than just
            regular rsync because it also does the cleanup of old backups etc.

            Do you want to make a dirvish package for us?

            Fred
          • bloedmann999
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Frederic Wenzel <fred@...> wrote:

              > bloedmann999 schrieb:
              > > I just installed rsync on my WinXP box, and using rsync from the Slug
              > > (unslung V5.5) it seems to work pretty well. So I was reading about
              > > Dirvish as a very comfortable way to do backups, using rsync on the
              > > client also. Looked at the unslung packages and don't see dirvish
              > > anywhere. I'm surprised that no one has yet had a need for this.
              >
              > I could use it, too :)
              >
              > > I could just have cron run my rsync
              > > scripts regularly, but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
              > > features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
              > > sets etc. etc. etc.
              >
              > This is a feature of rsync, however Dirvish is just supposed to be a
              > frontend for rsync, as far as I remember. It is indeed better than just
              > regular rsync because it also does the cleanup of old backups etc.
              >
              > Do you want to make a dirvish package for us?
              >
              > Fred

              Well after reading some more about Dirvish I saw it is just a set of
              scripts. So I installed the prereq Perl modules and then installed
              dirvish. And although I have only got it to work so far locally on the
              Slug, it does actually work OK. My problems concern using SSH as the
              transport from the remote machines, and Dirvish itself. But I may get
              a chance to work on them this weekend.
              Cheers Brian
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
                I've just installed BackupPC (backuppc.sf.net) at work, and I'm wondering if it will just work on the slug too - it's also just perl scripts and ssh/rsync.

                -- Rod
                > > I just installed rsync on my WinXP box, and using rsync from the Slug

                > > (unslung V5.5) it seems to work pretty well. So I was reading about

                > > Dirvish as a very comfortable way to do backups, using rsync on the

                > > client also. Looked at the unslung packages and don't see dirvish

                > > anywhere. I'm surprised that no one has yet had a need for this.

                > I could use it, too :)

                > > I could just have cron run my rsync

                > > scripts regularly, but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable

                > > features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup

                > > sets etc. etc. etc.

                > This is a feature of rsync, however Dirvish is just supposed to be a

                > frontend for rsync, as far as I remember. It is indeed better than just

                > regular rsync because it also does the cleanup of old backups etc.

                > Do you want to make a dirvish package for us?

                > Fred

                Well after reading some more about Dirvish I saw it is just a set of

                scripts. So I installed the prereq Perl modules and then installed

                dirvish. And although I have only got it to work so far locally on the

                Slug, it does actually work OK. My problems concern using SSH as the

                transport from the remote machines, and Dirvish itself. But I may get

                a chance to work on them this weekend.
                Cheers Brian

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                Visit your group "nslu2-linux" on the web.
              • Attila Csipa
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
                  On Saturday 01 April 2006 12:33, Rod Whitby wrote:
                  > I've just installed BackupPC (backuppc.sf.net) at work, and I'm wondering
                  > if it will just work on the slug too - it's also just perl scripts and
                  > ssh/rsync.

                  BackupPC is nice, but can eat a LOT of memory. Also, make sure you turn
                  compression off or set it to a very fast level (having the slug bzip2ing is
                  no fun at all). We use it at work too, but I've had cases where it was
                  swapping 200 megs to disk (on a 256MB dedicated P3 backup machine). Then
                  again we have literally millions of files, so it might not apply in general
                  (perl in my experience is very generous on allocating memory but not too keen
                  on releasing it).
                • bloedmann999
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 15, 2006
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Frederic Wenzel <fred@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > bloedmann999 schrieb:
                    > > > I just installed rsync on my WinXP box, and using rsync from the
                    Slug
                    > > > (unslung V5.5) it seems to work pretty well. So I was reading about
                    > > > Dirvish as a very comfortable way to do backups, using rsync on the
                    > > > client also. Looked at the unslung packages and don't see dirvish
                    > > > anywhere. I'm surprised that no one has yet had a need for this.
                    > >
                    > > I could use it, too :)
                    > >
                    > > > I could just have cron run my rsync
                    > > > scripts regularly, but dirvish seems to offer a lot of comfortable
                    > > > features to save space (hard links) and easily keep multiple backup
                    > > > sets etc. etc. etc.
                    > >
                    > > This is a feature of rsync, however Dirvish is just supposed to be a
                    > > frontend for rsync, as far as I remember. It is indeed better than
                    just
                    > > regular rsync because it also does the cleanup of old backups etc.
                    > >
                    > > Do you want to make a dirvish package for us?
                    > >
                    > > Fred
                    > >
                    > Well after reading some more about Dirvish I saw it is just a set of
                    > scripts. So I installed the prereq Perl modules and then installed
                    > dirvish. And although I have only got it to work so far locally on the
                    > Slug, it does actually work OK. My problems concern using SSH as the
                    > transport from the remote machines, and Dirvish itself. But I may get
                    > a chance to work on them this weekend.
                    > Cheers Brian

                    After re-formatting my disk due to a crash, re-unslinging, and re
                    installing everything I seem to have Dirvish working correctly on my
                    unslung v5.5 Slug. Currently not using SSH as all the stuff I am doing
                    is local in my own home network.