Out of the box funct of unslug firmware

  • professordavidk
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
      Greetings,

      I just ordered an NSLu2 online and will get it soon.

      Eventually I want to install various packages, slimserver, asterix, etc.

      But out of the box, what improvements does the unslug firmware have
      over Linksys's firmware?

      Thanks
    • Ian Epperson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
        I just started playing with my NSLU2, and although I'm sure that the
        list is enumerated somewhere, so far the biggest advantage I've seen
        is hot plug.

        That is, until you telnet to the box and use the package manager ;-)

        Ian.

        --
        Me, I'm not worried about the apocalypse. What *I* am worried about is
        the apocalypso.

        Whatever you do, DO NOT let Mr. tally man tally your bananas. You only
        have to make it 'till daylight.
      • professordavidk
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
          Greetings,

          What do you mean by hotplug? You mean hotswap disk drives?
        • Ian Epperson

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 25, 2006
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "professordavidk"
              <bengaldave@...> wrote:
              > Eventually I want to install various packages, slimserver,
              asterix, etc.

              > But out of the box, what improvements does the unslug firmware have
              > over Linksys's firmware?

              Not sure I understand your question. Without installing ipkg'es
              (such as the add-ons you describe) not much. That is intentional to
              make it have the same feel and response as the Linksys stock
              firmware. The key is that is allows you to install extra stuff
              (provide a login and startup hooks), which the stock firmware
              doesn't.

              The NSLU2 was the best buy of last year, but only because of the
              work done here.

              Trouble is, I'm now so reliant on it (using the UnSlung firmware),
              that I don't want to risk installing OpenSLUG (I want kernel level
              disk encryption).

              JamesCC