Re: Unslung 6.6 alpha build problem "do_compile" of "gettext-native-0.14.1[-r3]"

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
      Answering my own question:

      It appears that I was missing the necessary package
      libgcj-3.4.2-6.fc3 RPM for i386

      I found this package, downloaded it
      and tried to install it,
      only to be informed that a newer version of this package was already
      installed?!

      I was not prepared to force the install
      possibly trashing the newer version of the package
      upon which something else may depend

      So I just created a symbolic link called /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
      pointing at /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar
      (a risky thing to rely upon I know)

      The build then ran to completion
      and I have now got an unslung image :-)

      The question is: Should I trust the resultant image?

      Basically is it correct that
      a "Fedora Core 3" "i386" architecture library
      is only be used as part of the build process itself
      and not actually bundled into the resultant image?

      I.e. should I go ahead and flash this image?

      > I have tried to build unslung 6.6 alpha
      > under Fedora Core 3.

      [snip of some "make" output containing error(s)]

      > I looked into the referenced log file
      > /bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d .
      > <work[ing]_directory>/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/intl-java/gnu/gettext/GettextResource.java
      > incorrect classpath: /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
      >
      > This [file] does *not* exist
      > The parent directory "/usr/share/java" *does* exist
      > and so do the files "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.3.4.jar"
      > and "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar"
      > and so does a symbolic link "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.4"
      > which points back at libgcj-3.4.3
      >
      > Anyone any idea what I am missing?
      > Or why it is missing?
      > Or more importantly what I do to fix it?
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        Yes, the image is fine - it does not depend on the java.

        I seem to recall that I had problems with my Fedora Core 3 build machine in
        the same place (classpath). I didn't even have the java stuff installed on
        FC.3, so I couldn't figure out why on earth the build process was trying to
        use the java build tools (which were all sym links to /etc/alternatives, as
        I recall). I finally found a file in /usr/bin (on FC.3) that I deleted; the
        absence of the file prevents the build from actually attempting any java
        stuff. (of course, I'll be unable to develop/build any real java
        applications on my Linux system, so I'm hoping that will all get fixed when
        I upgrade to FC.5 this summer some time!).

        You can go ahead and flash the image.

        (Or, you can also cd to /home/slug, and do a "make update" and build
        again -- Unslung 6.7 is now checked into Monotone -- the updates should be
        fairly small and only take 10 - 20 minutes or so of build time.)

        Mike (mwester)

        > It appears that I was missing the necessary package
        > libgcj-3.4.2-6.fc3 RPM for i386
        >
        > I found this package, downloaded it
        > and tried to install it,
        > only to be informed that a newer version of this package was already
        > installed?!
        >
        > I was not prepared to force the install
        > possibly trashing the newer version of the package
        > upon which something else may depend
        >
        > So I just created a symbolic link called /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
        > pointing at /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar
        > (a risky thing to rely upon I know)
        >
        > The build then ran to completion
        > and I have now got an unslung image :-)
        >
        > The question is: Should I trust the resultant image?
        >
        > Basically is it correct that
        > a "Fedora Core 3" "i386" architecture library
        > is only be used as part of the build process itself
        > and not actually bundled into the resultant image?
        >
        > I.e. should I go ahead and flash this image?
        >
        > > I have tried to build unslung 6.6 alpha
        > > under Fedora Core 3.
        >
        > [snip of some "make" output containing error(s)]
        >
        > > I looked into the referenced log file
        > > /bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d .

        <work[ing]_directory>/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtim
        e/intl-java/gnu/gettext/GettextResource.java
        > > incorrect classpath: /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
        > >
        > > This [file] does *not* exist
        > > The parent directory "/usr/share/java" *does* exist
        > > and so do the files "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.3.4.jar"
        > > and "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar"
        > > and so does a symbolic link "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.4"
        > > which points back at libgcj-3.4.3
        > >
        > > Anyone any idea what I am missing?
        > > Or why it is missing?
        > > Or more importantly what I do to fix it?

        networking Linksys nslu2

        Service.

      • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
          On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:41:59AM -0600, Mike Westerhof wrote:

          > (Or, you can also cd to /home/slug, and do a "make update" and build
          > again -- Unslung 6.7 is now checked into Monotone -- the updates should be
          > fairly small and only take 10 - 20 minutes or so of build time.)

          Updating this way fails for me.

          In that case the kernel build fails:

          L> NOTE: Applying patch '2.4.22-xfs-nslu2.patch'
          L> ERROR: function do_patchcmd failed
          L> ERROR: see log in /export/Nslu2/master/unslung/tmp/work/unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10/temp/log.do_patchcmd.3690
          L> NOTE: Task failed: /export/Nslu2/master/unslung/tmp/work/unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10/temp/log.do_patchcmd.3690
          L> NOTE: package unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10: task do_patch: failed
          L> ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
          L> NOTE: package unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63: failed
          L> ERROR: Build of unslung-image failed
          L> make[1]: *** [image] Error 1
          L> make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/Nslu2/master/unslung'
          L> make: *** [unslung] Error 2

          After removing "unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63*" from the work and
          timestamp directory the build works.

          Marceln
        • Ian White
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
            Hi Mike,

            Thanks for the "confidence boost"

            I went ahead and flashed the image

            It all worked just fine

            My slug is now running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.7-alpha
            and unslung

            Cheers
            Ian W.