Re: Crazy ping

  • peachfuzz163
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
      firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
      not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
      R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
      with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
      or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "cedric_jaboulet"
      <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:

      > I had some problems running BackupPC on my Unslung 5.5 and I noticed
      > that "ping" was from time to time giving back crazy results.
      >
      > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
      > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.1 ms
      >
      > --- mafate ping statistics ---
      > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
      > round-trip min/avg/max = 7.1/7.1/7.1 ms
      >

      > [root@LKG7F6721 backup]$ ping -c 1 mafate
      > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
      > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=429496724.1 ms
      >
      > --- mafate ping statistics ---
      > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
      > round-trip min/avg/max = 429496724.1/429496724.1/429496724.1 ms
      >
      > The 2 pings were at 1s interval. For fhe first attempt the reported
      > time was okay. The 2nd time, ping also gave an answer almost
      > immediately, but the reported time is crazy: 429496724.1 ms
      >
      > Has anyone ever experienced that?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • cedric_jaboulet
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@...> wrote:

        > The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
        > firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
        > not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
        > R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
        > with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
        > or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

        I was talking about BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/). I
        guess that is a different software.
        Thanks anyway.
      • peachfuzz163
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          My mistake. Misread the product.....
          BackupMyPC is a commercial product for Windows backup.