Re: Crazy ping

  • cedric_jaboulet
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
      > > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
      > > activated C&Q".
      >
      > No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?
      >
      > cu

      Sorry I missed that. The PCs (I have issues pinging the 2 of them from
      the Slug) are intel Centrino laptops running XP pro. But I can also
      reproduce the issue having the Slug pinging itself (localhost) so I
      guess it is really a Slug issue.
    • peachfuzz163
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
        firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
        not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
        R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
        with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
        or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "cedric_jaboulet"
        <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:

        > I had some problems running BackupPC on my Unslung 5.5 and I noticed
        > that "ping" was from time to time giving back crazy results.
        >
        > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
        > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.1 ms
        >
        > --- mafate ping statistics ---
        > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
        > round-trip min/avg/max = 7.1/7.1/7.1 ms
        >

        > [root@LKG7F6721 backup]$ ping -c 1 mafate
        > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
        > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=429496724.1 ms
        >
        > --- mafate ping statistics ---
        > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
        > round-trip min/avg/max = 429496724.1/429496724.1/429496724.1 ms
        >
        > The 2 pings were at 1s interval. For fhe first attempt the reported
        > time was okay. The 2nd time, ping also gave an answer almost
        > immediately, but the reported time is crazy: 429496724.1 ms
        >
        > Has anyone ever experienced that?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • cedric_jaboulet
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@...> wrote:

          > The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
          > firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
          > not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
          > R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
          > with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
          > or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

          I was talking about BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/). I
          guess that is a different software.
          Thanks anyway.
        • peachfuzz163
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            My mistake. Misread the product.....
            BackupMyPC is a commercial product for Windows backup.