Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Crazy ping

  • Laurent Gilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hello,

      > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
      > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
      > activated C&Q".

      No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?

      cu
    • cedric_jaboulet
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
        > > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
        > > activated C&Q".
        >
        > No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?
        >
        > cu

        Sorry I missed that. The PCs (I have issues pinging the 2 of them from
        the Slug) are intel Centrino laptops running XP pro. But I can also
        reproduce the issue having the Slug pinging itself (localhost) so I
        guess it is really a Slug issue.
      • peachfuzz163
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
          firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
          not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
          R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
          with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
          or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "cedric_jaboulet"
          <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:

          > I had some problems running BackupPC on my Unslung 5.5 and I noticed
          > that "ping" was from time to time giving back crazy results.
          >
          > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
          > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.1 ms
          >
          > --- mafate ping statistics ---
          > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
          > round-trip min/avg/max = 7.1/7.1/7.1 ms
          >

          > [root@LKG7F6721 backup]$ ping -c 1 mafate
          > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
          > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=429496724.1 ms
          >
          > --- mafate ping statistics ---
          > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
          > round-trip min/avg/max = 429496724.1/429496724.1/429496724.1 ms
          >
          > The 2 pings were at 1s interval. For fhe first attempt the reported
          > time was okay. The 2nd time, ping also gave an answer almost
          > immediately, but the reported time is crazy: 429496724.1 ms
          >
          > Has anyone ever experienced that?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • cedric_jaboulet
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@...> wrote:

            > The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
            > firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
            > not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
            > R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
            > with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
            > or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

            I was talking about BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/). I
            guess that is a different software.
            Thanks anyway.
          • peachfuzz163
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
              My mistake. Misread the product.....
              BackupMyPC is a commercial product for Windows backup.