Re: Crazy ping

  • cedric_jaboulet
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:23:22 +0100, cedric_jaboulet
      > <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:
      >
      > > No. I happen to run ntpclient and hwclock at regular interval but the
      > > ping crazyness can happen at any time. Interestingly it seems that the
      > > returned value is almost the same all the times:
      > >
      > > 429496724.xms
      > >
      > > Only the x (fractions of ms) varies. Really looks like an overflow.
      >
      > Yepp, that's the integer over/underflow or a 2.6-kernel running 1kHz
      > timesteps. That should only happen if the clock was reset or
      something is
      > out of sync. Are you running a AMD X2 with activated C&Q ?
      >
      > cu

      I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
      been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
      activated C&Q".

      C.
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hello,

        > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
        > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
        > activated C&Q".

        No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?

        cu
      • cedric_jaboulet
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
          > > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
          > > activated C&Q".
          >
          > No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?
          >
          > cu

          Sorry I missed that. The PCs (I have issues pinging the 2 of them from
          the Slug) are intel Centrino laptops running XP pro. But I can also
          reproduce the issue having the Slug pinging itself (localhost) so I
          guess it is really a Slug issue.
        • peachfuzz163
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
            The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
            firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
            not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
            R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
            with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
            or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "cedric_jaboulet"
            <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:

            > I had some problems running BackupPC on my Unslung 5.5 and I noticed
            > that "ping" was from time to time giving back crazy results.
            >
            > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
            > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.1 ms
            >
            > --- mafate ping statistics ---
            > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
            > round-trip min/avg/max = 7.1/7.1/7.1 ms
            >

            > [root@LKG7F6721 backup]$ ping -c 1 mafate
            > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
            > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=429496724.1 ms
            >
            > --- mafate ping statistics ---
            > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
            > round-trip min/avg/max = 429496724.1/429496724.1/429496724.1 ms
            >
            > The 2 pings were at 1s interval. For fhe first attempt the reported
            > time was okay. The 2nd time, ping also gave an answer almost
            > immediately, but the reported time is crazy: 429496724.1 ms
            >
            > Has anyone ever experienced that?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • cedric_jaboulet
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@...> wrote:

              > The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
              > firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
              > not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
              > R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
              > with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
              > or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

              I was talking about BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/). I
              guess that is a different software.
              Thanks anyway.
            • peachfuzz163
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                My mistake. Misread the product.....
                BackupMyPC is a commercial product for Windows backup.