Re: TwonkyMedia/NSLU2 Installation Recipes posted

  • pinyilde
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
      <fransmeulenbroeks@...> wrote:

      > Pinyilde, nice pages, but why create a different wiki?
      > Why not add it to the twonky page on www.nslu2-linux.org
      > This way the info only gets scattered!

      Thank you for the compliment and suggestion.

      I've had other suggestions about "pinning" or "sticking this
      material up" on nslu2-linux.org, but how?

      In the HowTo Recipes section, which I assume is the appropriate
      place, the only instructions that seem relevant are:

      "This page is password protected. If you need to add content to this
      page, then please create a new page with your content (you do not
      need a password to create a new page), then post the URL of your new
      page to the nslu2-linux mailing list and we will link it into this
      page."

      While it says one can create a new page without a password, I
      couldn't find any link for doing that except for maybe the sandbox.
      Plus, I don't have time to recode my multipage tutorial anyway.
      Maybe the howto section can just link to my existing pbwiki tutorial?

      Okay, so, how does one post the url to the mailing list?

      Ah, MailingLists! English Mailing List. Click and go there.

      What, Yahoo Groups?!

      So I'm back here in what appears to be an endless loop.
      ---
      Speaking of scattered...

      I tried my tutorial as a wiki at first but could see that
      contributors were making it less clear and adding contradictory
      statements, much like what I found in some of the nslu2-linux.org
      howto's. This wiki concept has great potential but at times it's
      like watching our US political debates and advertising: one
      assertion contradicts a prior one, then something new is asserted,
      which is never answered, etc. etc. leaving a newbie totally confused
      and wondering what bits of advice to choose from without knowing
      enough to even tackle such decisions. In this case I decided to
      just make it a tutorial that I know works.
    • fransmeulenbroeks
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        pinyilde,

        Making a page on the wiki is simple. You can just create any page you
        want to. For instance you could create http://www.nslu2-
        linux.org/wiki/Applications/TwonkyVision (except that this one already
        exist).

        There are a few pages protected to avoid vandalism. The howto page and
        the front page are two of them. If you have modifications for those
        you need to send an email to this group.

        Feel free to update the twonky page mentioned above. Also if your page
        is very good and you are worried about vandalism, first of all the
        previous content can be installed easily, and if the page is really
        good you can ask to get the page protected as well (don't know about
        the policy for those though.

        Best regards, Frans.