Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Slimserver question

  • Kai Steinbach
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi

      On 3/1/06, wielan000 <henk_wieland@...> wrote:

      > > Increase your swap size by 256 MB.
      > >
      > Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on that)

      I found one.
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace

      Hope that helps. Kai
    • wielan000
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006

        > Hi
        >
        > On 3/1/06, wielan000 <henk_wieland@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Increase your swap size by 256 MB.
        > > >
        > > Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on
        that)

        > I found one.
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace
        >
        > Hope that helps. Kai

        It helps, but the figures don't match with the info on the page.
        before:
        Swap: 56220 7288 48932
        After:
        Swap: 208872 7264 201608

        So the swapfile added is 156 Mb.

        the command to create the file was;

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/hdd/data/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=262144l

        Henk
      • wielan000
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006

          > > Hi

          > > > Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on
          > that)
          > >
          > > I found one.
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace
          > >
          > > Hope that helps. Kai
          > >
          > It helps, but the figures don't match with the info on the page.
          > before:
          > Swap: 56220 7288 48932
          > After:
          > Swap: 208872 7264 201608
          >
          > So the swapfile added is 156 Mb.
          >
          > the command to create the file was;
          >
          > dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/hdd/data/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=262144
          >
          > Henk

          Hi, just to inform you that i only killed mt-daapd and slimverver was
          ready after eight hours searching through my 40gb 9000+ songs mp3
          folder (with 100Mb of swapsce left).
          So here are the figures for the statisitics ;-).
          Windows slimserver (active pearl installed) approx 4 hours.
          Slug (with 156 Mb swapfile added) (Turboslugged) approx 8 hours.
          Vmware (on windows machine) Slimcd (good stuff) approx 1,5 hours.

          Thx for the help.

          Rgds,
          Henk
        • juggler_munier
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
            Henk,

            Can I ask you how you find the overall response of SlimServer once it
            has finished scanning? Does it call up/stream the music quickly? Do
            you have a Slim player--if so how is it for usability with SlimServer
            on the sLUG?

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "wielan000" <henk_wieland@...> wrote:

            > > > Hi

            > > that)
            > > >
            > > > I found one.
            > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace
            > > >
            > > > Hope that helps. Kai
            > > >
            > > It helps, but the figures don't match with the info on the page.
            > > before:
            > > Swap: 56220 7288 48932
            > > After:
            > > Swap: 208872 7264 201608
            > >
            > > So the swapfile added is 156 Mb.
            > >
            > > the command to create the file was;
            > >
            > > dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/hdd/data/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=262144
            > >
            > > Henk
            > >
            > Hi, just to inform you that i only killed mt-daapd and slimverver was
            > ready after eight hours searching through my 40gb 9000+ songs mp3
            > folder (with 100Mb of swapsce left).
            > So here are the figures for the statisitics ;-).
            > Windows slimserver (active pearl installed) approx 4 hours.
            > Slug (with 156 Mb swapfile added) (Turboslugged) approx 8 hours.
            > Vmware (on windows machine) Slimcd (good stuff) approx 1,5 hours.
            >
            > Thx for the help.
            >
            > Rgds,
            > Henk

          • tom curran
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2006
              Juggler,

              Having recently gone thru this exercise of unslinging my slug and installing SlimServer, I can tell you the responsiveness of SlimServer is entirely dependent on the size of your library.  My library is over 20K files and SlimServer is often slow to respond, but not too bad most of the time.  My Squeezebox has also worked flawlessly since installing SlimServer on the slug.  BTW, making a huge 256MB swapfile and de-underclocking the slug are essential when installing SlimServer on the slug - that made a huge difference for me.

              --Tom