Crazy ping

  • cedric_jaboulet
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      I had some problems running BackupPC on my Unslung 5.5 and I noticed
      that "ping" was from time to time giving back crazy results.

      PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes

      --- mafate ping statistics ---
      round-trip min/avg/max = 7.1/7.1/7.1 ms

      [root@LKG7F6721 backup]$ ping -c 1 mafate
      PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
      64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=429496724.1 ms

      --- mafate ping statistics ---
      round-trip min/avg/max = 429496724.1/429496724.1/429496724.1 ms

      The 2 pings were at 1s interval. For fhe first attempt the reported
      time was okay. The 2nd time, ping also gave an answer almost
      immediately, but the reported time is crazy: 429496724.1 ms

      Has anyone ever experienced that?

      Thanks.
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hello,

        Are you running ntpdate on your PC ?

        I had the same problem if ntp adjusted the clock during a timed operation
        (like ping).

        cu
      • cedric_jaboulet
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          No. I happen to run ntpclient and hwclock at regular interval but the
          ping crazyness can happen at any time. Interestingly it seems that the
          returned value is almost the same all the times:

          429496724.xms

          Only the x (fractions of ms) varies. Really looks like an overflow.

          C.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Are you running ntpdate on your PC ?
          >
          > I had the same problem if ntp adjusted the clock during a timed
          operation
          > (like ping).
          >
          > cu
        • Laurent Gilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
            On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:23:22 +0100, cedric_jaboulet
            <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:

            > No. I happen to run ntpclient and hwclock at regular interval but the
            > ping crazyness can happen at any time. Interestingly it seems that the
            > returned value is almost the same all the times:
            >
            > 429496724.xms
            >
            > Only the x (fractions of ms) varies. Really looks like an overflow.

            Yepp, that's the integer over/underflow or a 2.6-kernel running 1kHz
            timesteps. That should only happen if the clock was reset or something is
            out of sync. Are you running a AMD X2 with activated C&Q ?

            cu
          • cedric_jaboulet
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:23:22 +0100, cedric_jaboulet
              > <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:
              >
              > > No. I happen to run ntpclient and hwclock at regular interval but the
              > > ping crazyness can happen at any time. Interestingly it seems that the
              > > returned value is almost the same all the times:
              > >
              > > 429496724.xms
              > >
              > > Only the x (fractions of ms) varies. Really looks like an overflow.
              >
              > Yepp, that's the integer over/underflow or a 2.6-kernel running 1kHz
              > timesteps. That should only happen if the clock was reset or
              something is
              > out of sync. Are you running a AMD X2 with activated C&Q ?
              >
              > cu

              I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
              been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
              activated C&Q".

              C.
            • Laurent Gilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                Hello,

                > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
                > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
                > activated C&Q".

                No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?

                cu
              • cedric_jaboulet
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > > I run the usual Unslung 5.5 (Kernel 2.4 I believe) and my Slug has not
                  > > been de-underclocked if that's what you meant with "AMD X2 with
                  > > activated C&Q".
                  >
                  > No, your PC: is it running Kernel 2.6 ? Is it a AMD X2 Athlon ?
                  >
                  > cu

                  Sorry I missed that. The PCs (I have issues pinging the 2 of them from
                  the Slug) are intel Centrino laptops running XP pro. But I can also
                  reproduce the issue having the Slug pinging itself (localhost) so I
                  guess it is really a Slug issue.
                • peachfuzz163
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                    The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
                    firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
                    not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
                    R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
                    with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
                    or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "cedric_jaboulet"
                    <cedric_jaboulet@...> wrote:

                    > I had some problems running BackupPC on my Unslung 5.5 and I noticed
                    > that "ping" was from time to time giving back crazy results.
                    >
                    > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
                    > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.1 ms
                    >
                    > --- mafate ping statistics ---
                    > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
                    > round-trip min/avg/max = 7.1/7.1/7.1 ms
                    >

                    > [root@LKG7F6721 backup]$ ping -c 1 mafate
                    > PING mafate (192.168.1.101): 56 data bytes
                    > 64 bytes from 192.168.1.101: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=429496724.1 ms
                    >
                    > --- mafate ping statistics ---
                    > 1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
                    > round-trip min/avg/max = 429496724.1/429496724.1/429496724.1 ms
                    >
                    > The 2 pings were at 1s interval. For fhe first attempt the reported
                    > time was okay. The 2nd time, ping also gave an answer almost
                    > immediately, but the reported time is crazy: 429496724.1 ms
                    >
                    > Has anyone ever experienced that?
                    >
                    > Thanks.

                  • cedric_jaboulet
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "peachfuzz163" <bobbob@...> wrote:

                      > The only thing that fixed BackupMyPC for me was upgrading to R63
                      > firmware. The default version of Samba included in Unslung 5.x did
                      > not get-along well with BackupMyPC. The newwer version of Samba in
                      > R63 allows me to do backups (with verify) every night of up to 8.5GB
                      > with NO errors. I would recommend upgrading Samba either as a package
                      > or using a newer bundled version (ie R63 or unslung 6.x).

                      I was talking about BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/). I
                      guess that is a different software.
                      Thanks anyway.
                    • peachfuzz163
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                        My mistake. Misread the product.....
                        BackupMyPC is a commercial product for Windows backup.