Re: [nslu2-linux] Slimserver question

  • Laurent Gilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hello,

      > The installation on Unslung 5.5 went fine as discribed in the wiki
      > page, but when starting the server with a 9000plus music folder.
      > The slug dies slowly trowing out one deamon after another to get more
      > memory.

      Increase your swap size by 256 MB.

      Disable everything except ssh and launch slimserver.

      > I've installed Slimserver on a W2k3 server and it take a couple of
      > hours to scan the musicfolder but it runs using 102Mb memory.

      So your slug needs about 100MB more RAM and will take 10-20x as long to do
      the scan.

      cu
    • wielan000
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006

        > Increase your swap size by 256 MB.

        Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on that)

        > > I've installed Slimserver on a W2k3 server and it takes a couple of
        > > hours to scan the musicfolder but it runs using 102Mb memory.
        >
        > So your slug needs about 100MB more RAM and will take 10-20x as long
        to do
        > the scan.

        Haha I've read the article on how to fatten the slug, but i think
        thats to risky. Maybe it takes longer, but i don't care. I will let it
        update every once in a while during the night.

        rgds,
        Henk
      • Kai Steinbach
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hi

          On 3/1/06, wielan000 <henk_wieland@...> wrote:

          > > Increase your swap size by 256 MB.
          > >
          > Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on that)

          I found one.
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace

          Hope that helps. Kai
        • wielan000
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006

            > Hi
            >
            > On 3/1/06, wielan000 <henk_wieland@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Increase your swap size by 256 MB.
            > > >
            > > Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on
            that)

            > I found one.
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace
            >
            > Hope that helps. Kai

            It helps, but the figures don't match with the info on the page.
            before:
            Swap: 56220 7288 48932
            After:
            Swap: 208872 7264 201608

            So the swapfile added is 156 Mb.

            the command to create the file was;

            dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/hdd/data/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=262144l

            Henk
          • wielan000
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006

              > > Hi

              > > > Can you give me some pointers on how to do that? (No Wiki page on
              > that)
              > >
              > > I found one.
              > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace
              > >
              > > Hope that helps. Kai
              > >
              > It helps, but the figures don't match with the info on the page.
              > before:
              > Swap: 56220 7288 48932
              > After:
              > Swap: 208872 7264 201608
              >
              > So the swapfile added is 156 Mb.
              >
              > the command to create the file was;
              >
              > dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/hdd/data/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=262144
              >
              > Henk

              Hi, just to inform you that i only killed mt-daapd and slimverver was
              ready after eight hours searching through my 40gb 9000+ songs mp3
              folder (with 100Mb of swapsce left).
              So here are the figures for the statisitics ;-).
              Windows slimserver (active pearl installed) approx 4 hours.
              Slug (with 156 Mb swapfile added) (Turboslugged) approx 8 hours.
              Vmware (on windows machine) Slimcd (good stuff) approx 1,5 hours.

              Thx for the help.

              Rgds,
              Henk
            • juggler_munier
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
                Henk,

                Can I ask you how you find the overall response of SlimServer once it
                has finished scanning? Does it call up/stream the music quickly? Do
                you have a Slim player--if so how is it for usability with SlimServer
                on the sLUG?

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "wielan000" <henk_wieland@...> wrote:

                > > > Hi

                > > that)
                > > >
                > > > I found one.
                > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAdditionalSwapSpace
                > > >
                > > > Hope that helps. Kai
                > > >
                > > It helps, but the figures don't match with the info on the page.
                > > before:
                > > Swap: 56220 7288 48932
                > > After:
                > > Swap: 208872 7264 201608
                > >
                > > So the swapfile added is 156 Mb.
                > >
                > > the command to create the file was;
                > >
                > > dd if=/dev/zero of=/share/hdd/data/swapfile1 bs=1024 count=262144
                > >
                > > Henk
                > >
                > Hi, just to inform you that i only killed mt-daapd and slimverver was
                > ready after eight hours searching through my 40gb 9000+ songs mp3
                > folder (with 100Mb of swapsce left).
                > So here are the figures for the statisitics ;-).
                > Windows slimserver (active pearl installed) approx 4 hours.
                > Slug (with 156 Mb swapfile added) (Turboslugged) approx 8 hours.
                > Vmware (on windows machine) Slimcd (good stuff) approx 1,5 hours.
                >
                > Thx for the help.
                >
                > Rgds,
                > Henk

              • tom curran
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 24, 2006
                  Juggler,

                  Having recently gone thru this exercise of unslinging my slug and installing SlimServer, I can tell you the responsiveness of SlimServer is entirely dependent on the size of your library.  My library is over 20K files and SlimServer is often slow to respond, but not too bad most of the time.  My Squeezebox has also worked flawlessly since installing SlimServer on the slug.  BTW, making a huge 256MB swapfile and de-underclocking the slug are essential when installing SlimServer on the slug - that made a huge difference for me.

                  --Tom