Unslung 6.6 alpha build problem "do_compile" of "gettext-native-0.14.1[-r3]"

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi All,

      I have tried to build unslung 6.6 alpha
      under Fedora Core 3.

      I have managed to build/install "monotone"
      and downloaded the master Makefile
      and the bits'n'bobs from Intel

      The "make setup" seemed to run just fine.

      But during the "make unslung" step
      I have run into the following problem:

      ERROR: function do_compile failed
      NOTE: package gettext-native-0.14.1-r3: task do_compile: failed
      ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
      NOTE: package gettext-native-0.14.1: failed
      ERROR: Build of unslung-image failed
      make[1]: *** [image] Error 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ian/slug/downloads/unslung'
      make: *** [unslung] Error 2

      I looked into the referenced log file
      /home/ian/slug/downloads/unslung/tmp/work/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/temp/log.do_compile.21020
      and found the following:

      Making all in intl-java
      make[5]: Entering directory
      `/home/ian/slug/downloads/unslung/tmp/work/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/intl-java'
      /bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d .
      /home/ian/slug/downloads/unslung/tmp/work/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/intl-java/gnu/gettext/GettextResource.java
      incorrect classpath: /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar

      Now I can guess that this is a Java development environment error.

      I don't even appear to have the environment variable "CLASSPATH"
      in my environment (should I have?)

      Where has it picked up "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar"
      as a classpath from?

      This directory does *not* exist by the way but the parent directory
      "/usr/share/java" *does* exist
      and so do the files "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.3.4.jar"
      and "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar"
      and so does a symbolic link "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.4"
      which points back at libgcj-3.4.3

      Anyone any idea what I am missing?
      (Possibly some version of the JDK?)
      Or why it is missing?
      Or more importantly what I do to fix it?

      Thanks in advance
      Ian W.
    • Ian White
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        Answering my own question:

        It appears that I was missing the necessary package
        libgcj-3.4.2-6.fc3 RPM for i386

        I found this package, downloaded it
        and tried to install it,
        only to be informed that a newer version of this package was already
        installed?!

        I was not prepared to force the install
        possibly trashing the newer version of the package
        upon which something else may depend

        So I just created a symbolic link called /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
        pointing at /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar
        (a risky thing to rely upon I know)

        The build then ran to completion
        and I have now got an unslung image :-)

        The question is: Should I trust the resultant image?

        Basically is it correct that
        a "Fedora Core 3" "i386" architecture library
        is only be used as part of the build process itself
        and not actually bundled into the resultant image?

        I.e. should I go ahead and flash this image?

        > I have tried to build unslung 6.6 alpha
        > under Fedora Core 3.

        [snip of some "make" output containing error(s)]

        > I looked into the referenced log file
        > /bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d .
        > <work[ing]_directory>/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/intl-java/gnu/gettext/GettextResource.java
        > incorrect classpath: /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
        >
        > This [file] does *not* exist
        > The parent directory "/usr/share/java" *does* exist
        > and so do the files "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.3.4.jar"
        > and "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar"
        > and so does a symbolic link "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.4"
        > which points back at libgcj-3.4.3
        >
        > Anyone any idea what I am missing?
        > Or why it is missing?
        > Or more importantly what I do to fix it?
      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
          Yes, the image is fine - it does not depend on the java.

          I seem to recall that I had problems with my Fedora Core 3 build machine in
          the same place (classpath). I didn't even have the java stuff installed on
          FC.3, so I couldn't figure out why on earth the build process was trying to
          use the java build tools (which were all sym links to /etc/alternatives, as
          I recall). I finally found a file in /usr/bin (on FC.3) that I deleted; the
          absence of the file prevents the build from actually attempting any java
          stuff. (of course, I'll be unable to develop/build any real java
          applications on my Linux system, so I'm hoping that will all get fixed when
          I upgrade to FC.5 this summer some time!).

          You can go ahead and flash the image.

          (Or, you can also cd to /home/slug, and do a "make update" and build
          again -- Unslung 6.7 is now checked into Monotone -- the updates should be
          fairly small and only take 10 - 20 minutes or so of build time.)

          Mike (mwester)

          > It appears that I was missing the necessary package
          > libgcj-3.4.2-6.fc3 RPM for i386
          >
          > I found this package, downloaded it
          > and tried to install it,
          > only to be informed that a newer version of this package was already
          > installed?!
          >
          > I was not prepared to force the install
          > possibly trashing the newer version of the package
          > upon which something else may depend
          >
          > So I just created a symbolic link called /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
          > pointing at /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar
          > (a risky thing to rely upon I know)
          >
          > The build then ran to completion
          > and I have now got an unslung image :-)
          >
          > The question is: Should I trust the resultant image?
          >
          > Basically is it correct that
          > a "Fedora Core 3" "i386" architecture library
          > is only be used as part of the build process itself
          > and not actually bundled into the resultant image?
          >
          > I.e. should I go ahead and flash this image?
          >
          > > I have tried to build unslung 6.6 alpha
          > > under Fedora Core 3.
          >
          > [snip of some "make" output containing error(s)]
          >
          > > I looked into the referenced log file
          > > /bin/sh ../lib/javacomp.sh -d .

          <work[ing]_directory>/gettext-native-0.14.1-r3/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtim
          e/intl-java/gnu/gettext/GettextResource.java
          > > incorrect classpath: /usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.2.jar
          > >
          > > This [file] does *not* exist
          > > The parent directory "/usr/share/java" *does* exist
          > > and so do the files "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.3.4.jar"
          > > and "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.3.jar"
          > > and so does a symbolic link "/usr/share/java/libgcj-3.4.4"
          > > which points back at libgcj-3.4.3
          > >
          > > Anyone any idea what I am missing?
          > > Or why it is missing?
          > > Or more importantly what I do to fix it?

          networking Linksys nslu2

          Service.

        • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
            On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:41:59AM -0600, Mike Westerhof wrote:

            > (Or, you can also cd to /home/slug, and do a "make update" and build
            > again -- Unslung 6.7 is now checked into Monotone -- the updates should be
            > fairly small and only take 10 - 20 minutes or so of build time.)

            Updating this way fails for me.

            In that case the kernel build fails:

            L> NOTE: Applying patch '2.4.22-xfs-nslu2.patch'
            L> ERROR: function do_patchcmd failed
            L> ERROR: see log in /export/Nslu2/master/unslung/tmp/work/unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10/temp/log.do_patchcmd.3690
            L> NOTE: Task failed: /export/Nslu2/master/unslung/tmp/work/unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10/temp/log.do_patchcmd.3690
            L> NOTE: package unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63-r10: task do_patch: failed
            L> ERROR: TaskFailed event exception, aborting
            L> NOTE: package unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63: failed
            L> ERROR: Build of unslung-image failed
            L> make[1]: *** [image] Error 1
            L> make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/Nslu2/master/unslung'
            L> make: *** [unslung] Error 2

            After removing "unslung-kernel-2.4.22.l2.3r63*" from the work and
            timestamp directory the build works.

            Marceln
          • Ian White
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
              Hi Mike,

              Thanks for the "confidence boost"

              I went ahead and flashed the image

              It all worked just fine

              My slug is now running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.7-alpha
              and unslung

              Cheers
              Ian W.