Re: Hard Drive Info

  • lukedow11
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Laurent Gilson" <pumpkin@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      >
      > > I would gladly switch to php-thttpd if I could (I started with that
      > > originally), but there is a problem where php-thttpd can't handle or
      > > doesn't recognize POST commands.
      >
      > Eh, yes, there are in fact a problem with php-thttpd and POST. POST
      is not
      > enabled in the php-thttpd-package from oe/nslu2-linux.org.
      >
      > Is it OK if i send a version i compiled under OpenDebianSlug including
      > POST-support (18MB, bzip2 and tar have to be installed on the slug)
      ? It's
      > PHP 4.3 + thttp 2.21b with working POST. But very few other
      PHP-options as
      > i tried to keep the install small. This may break your scripts. It's a
      > non-brainer to install as the compile itself is already done.
      >
      > > So I am pretty much stuck with Apache, which is not horrible, but I
      > > would like it to be a little faster. I have heard it mentioned a
      > > couple of times that you should disable or not mount any modules you
      > > don't need, but I have no idea what modules do what, so I have not
      > > disabled any of them.
      >
      > apache loades modules which do specific tasks (like virtual hosts,
      > SSI-parsing, php, perl...). These are specified in apache2.conf.
      (Found
      > under /opt/etc/apache2 or /etc/apache2). Each of these has to give
      it's OK
      > before a page is send to the browser. If you go try-and-error apache
      will
      > complain about nonsupported options in it's configuration or send out
      > pages w/o executing them.
      >
      > I don't know what php-scripts need....
      >
      > > Is there a website or something that would give
      > > a brief description of what each module does, or will I just have to
      > > do trial and error?
      >
      > search for a block of lines all starting with:
      >
      > LoadModule
      >
      > and put the mod_XYZ name into google.
      >
      > > I tried to run the time command to test raw read performance, but it
      > > says time is not a file or directory. is the time command a default
      > > command in linux, or is there a package I need to install to run the
      > > time command?
      >
      > I have no idea which unslung package contains time. Since it just
      produces
      > a simple "how-long-did-it-take" output any stopwatch should work too
      (just
      > pick a large file that takes more then 100msec to read...). The
      important
      > part is to know how much MB/s the disc manages. A second more or
      less is
      > not important, it's more the magnitude that counts. Is it 1MB/s,
      5MB/s, or
      > 10MB/s ?
      >
      > cu

      Hello again

      Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I have been busy around the
      home lately.

      I finally got around to getting the time command installed and ran on
      my slug and the results say alot. I am getting read/write time of
      6.92 MB/s. You had mentioned that anything between 8-16 was normal,
      so I am obviously below normal.
      I have also done some research into my hard drive and I have found
      that it runs at 4200 RPM and has a 387 KB cache (512 minus 125 KB for
      firmware).

      All of this put together makes me think that no matter what type of
      tweaking I did on my Apache install would have no effect on the blog
      load times. It also might explain why eaccelerator didn't help speed
      things up either.

      Thanks for the great help. I am reasonable happy with the level of
      preformance I an getting right now, and I am interested about some of
      the other things I can try on my slug.

      Regards.