Re: Re: Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Marcus Better
    • Robert Demski
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
        Marcus Better napisał(a):
        > Robert Demski wrote:
        >
        > > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
        >
        > No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).
        >
        > Marcus
        I see - you are looking for kernel-patch (2.6.x) without this warning
        (program scsi-start is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
        to SG_IO)
        I haven't this patch:(
        My knowlege about it is that:
        This warning appear when scsi-idle (or scsi-start/stop) are calling
        ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT) - for spinup fd unit
        or ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) - for spindown fd unit.
        command: SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT and several others
        are deprecated in 2.6 kernels.
        Also this warning is originated from scsi-idle demon - not from
        kernel-path-scsi-idle
        This kernel patch is necessary for retrive from kernel information when
        to send SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT command by scsi-idle demon.
        Appeared warning talking about conversion this ioctl command to SG_IO -
        but I don't know how to do:(
        I found http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO/ but i don't see
        commands referred with device spin(down/up).
        Generaly - I have no idea how to convert deprecated ioctl in scsi-idle
        package to SG_IO - I count on help in this issue.
        Mayby after this conversion more devices will be supported......

        btw
        What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
        OE OpenSlug head?
      • Frederic Wenzel
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
          Robert Demski schrieb:
          > btw
          > What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
          > OE OpenSlug head?

          did it ever make it to a release? I am not quite sure.

          However, people keep asking me about this feature. It runs great on my
          box with patched kernel 2.6.15 #2...

          Fred
        • Dean Dodd
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
            Has the patch been included with Openslug 3.10? If no one knows is
            there anyway to analyze the kernel to see if it is included or not?

            Thanks

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
            > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
            > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
            > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
            > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
            > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
            > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
            > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
            > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
            > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
            >
            > Demsey

          • Frederic Wenzel
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
              No, it has not. You have to build your own package for that. Sorry.

              However, I am just making a patch for the openembedded tree so that the next version of openslug can be delivered with this patch included. Stay tuned, I will be posting it on this list in a minute.

              Fred