Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Re: Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Robert Demski
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
      I have compiled OpenSlug kernel 2.6.15 - from OE repository and
      scsi-idle package is working (scsi-start/stop)
      scsi-idle isn't working now (Im looking for reason:)

      Marcus Better napisał(a):
      > Robert Demski wrote:
      >
      > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
      > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
      > > for scsi devices.
      >
      > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
      > it.
      >
      > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
      > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
      > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
      It isn't problem with enclosure? - scsi-idle isn't working with all them.

      > Marcus

      > Communication and networking
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw>
      > Wireless communication and networking
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw>
      > Linksys nslu2
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linksys+nslu2&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=j3mKdhnq2Dp0IwkO41UTZg>

    • Marcus Better

        Robert Demski wrote:

        > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz

        No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).

        Marcus

      • Robert Demski
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
          Marcus Better napisał(a):
          > Robert Demski wrote:
          >
          > > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
          >
          > No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).
          >
          > Marcus
          I see - you are looking for kernel-patch (2.6.x) without this warning
          (program scsi-start is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
          to SG_IO)
          I haven't this patch:(
          My knowlege about it is that:
          This warning appear when scsi-idle (or scsi-start/stop) are calling
          ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT) - for spinup fd unit
          or ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) - for spindown fd unit.
          command: SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT and several others
          are deprecated in 2.6 kernels.
          Also this warning is originated from scsi-idle demon - not from
          kernel-path-scsi-idle
          This kernel patch is necessary for retrive from kernel information when
          to send SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT command by scsi-idle demon.
          Appeared warning talking about conversion this ioctl command to SG_IO -
          but I don't know how to do:(
          I found http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO/ but i don't see
          commands referred with device spin(down/up).
          Generaly - I have no idea how to convert deprecated ioctl in scsi-idle
          package to SG_IO - I count on help in this issue.
          Mayby after this conversion more devices will be supported......

          btw
          What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
          OE OpenSlug head?
        • Frederic Wenzel
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
            Robert Demski schrieb:
            > btw
            > What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
            > OE OpenSlug head?

            did it ever make it to a release? I am not quite sure.

            However, people keep asking me about this feature. It runs great on my
            box with patched kernel 2.6.15 #2...

            Fred
          • Dean Dodd
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
              Has the patch been included with Openslug 3.10? If no one knows is
              there anyway to analyze the kernel to see if it is included or not?

              Thanks

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
              > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
              > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
              > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
              > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
              > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
              > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
              > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
              > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
              > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
              >
              > Demsey

            • Frederic Wenzel
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                No, it has not. You have to build your own package for that. Sorry.

                However, I am just making a patch for the openembedded tree so that the next version of openslug can be delivered with this patch included. Stay tuned, I will be posting it on this list in a minute.

                Fred