Re: Re: Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Marcus Better
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
      Robert Demski wrote:

      > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
      > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
      > for scsi devices.

      Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
      it.

      I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
      installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
      message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.

      Marcus
    • Robert Demski
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
        1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
        - scsi-idle-2.4.23.patch
        2) I know about deprecated ioctl call warning - it is deprecatex in
        2.6.x kernels. Scsi-idle.c and scsi-start.c should be fixed (patched) -
        if are any chance to include scsi-idle as OE package i can try fix it too:)

        Demsey

        Marcus Better napisał(a):
        > Robert Demski wrote:
        >
        > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
        > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
        > > for scsi devices.
        >
        > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
        > it.
        >
        > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
        > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
        > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
        >
        > Marcus

        > Communication and networking
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw>
        > Wireless communication and networking
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw>
        > Linksys nslu2
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linksys+nslu2&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=j3mKdhnq2Dp0IwkO41UTZg>

      • Robert Demski
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
          I have compiled OpenSlug kernel 2.6.15 - from OE repository and
          scsi-idle package is working (scsi-start/stop)
          scsi-idle isn't working now (Im looking for reason:)

          Marcus Better napisał(a):
          > Robert Demski wrote:
          >
          > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
          > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
          > > for scsi devices.
          >
          > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
          > it.
          >
          > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
          > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
          > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
          It isn't problem with enclosure? - scsi-idle isn't working with all them.

            Robert Demski wrote:

            > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz

            No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).

            Marcus

          • Robert Demski
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
              Marcus Better napisał(a):
              > Robert Demski wrote:
              >
              > > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
              >
              > No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).
              >
              > Marcus
              I see - you are looking for kernel-patch (2.6.x) without this warning
              (program scsi-start is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
              to SG_IO)
              I haven't this patch:(
              My knowlege about it is that:
              This warning appear when scsi-idle (or scsi-start/stop) are calling
              ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT) - for spinup fd unit
              or ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) - for spindown fd unit.
              command: SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT and several others
              are deprecated in 2.6 kernels.
              Also this warning is originated from scsi-idle demon - not from
              kernel-path-scsi-idle
              This kernel patch is necessary for retrive from kernel information when
              to send SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT command by scsi-idle demon.
              Appeared warning talking about conversion this ioctl command to SG_IO -
              but I don't know how to do:(
              I found http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO/ but i don't see
              commands referred with device spin(down/up).
              Generaly - I have no idea how to convert deprecated ioctl in scsi-idle
              package to SG_IO - I count on help in this issue.
              Mayby after this conversion more devices will be supported......

              btw
              What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
              OE OpenSlug head?
            • Frederic Wenzel
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                Robert Demski schrieb:
                > btw
                > What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                > OE OpenSlug head?

                did it ever make it to a release? I am not quite sure.

                However, people keep asking me about this feature. It runs great on my
                box with patched kernel 2.6.15 #2...

                Fred
              • Dean Dodd
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Has the patch been included with Openslug 3.10? If no one knows is
                  there anyway to analyze the kernel to see if it is included or not?

                  Thanks

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@...> wrote:

                  > Hi
                  > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
                  > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
                  > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
                  > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
                  > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
                  > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
                  > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
                  > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
                  > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
                  > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
                  >
                  > Demsey

                • Frederic Wenzel
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                    No, it has not. You have to build your own package for that. Sorry.

                    However, I am just making a patch for the openembedded tree so that the next version of openslug can be delivered with this patch included. Stay tuned, I will be posting it on this list in a minute.

                    Fred