change root Password on original firmware

  • pacogozalez
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2 4:28 AM
      I am running firmware NSLU2_V23R25.bin on my nslu2. This seems the last
      one with telnet still in place. Now, when a usb-HD is connected, i can
      easily change the root password by the backup/restore method. I do use
      Windows and 7-zip to change the backup file.

      Now, this does only work as long as the HD is connected. But i dont want
      to have the HD spinning all the time, i want this to work with no drive at
      all, or from a small flash drive. I do hate the noise of spinning disks in
      my TV-room.

      First:
      Where does the linksys firmware get the password file from when it boots
      without a HD ? I have tried to copy my HD-pwd-file to quite some places
      but i could not make it work. Any hints ?

      Second:
      How can i restore telnet access with the NSLU2_V23R63.bin firmware? I do
      quite like to use new features coming with this firmware.
    • Oliver Voelker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2 5:32 AM
        Hi!

        > Now, this does only work as long as the HD is connected. But i dont want
        > to have the HD spinning all the time, i want this to work with no drive at
        > all, or from a small flash drive. I do hate the noise of spinning disks in
        > my TV-room.

        I can't answer your question but in another thread we have discussed the
        power management of hard disks.
        The Hitachi drives allow you to configure the time after which they will
        stop the engine.
        Maybe this is another idea how you could have both: a permanent available
        drive and no noise if you don't use the drive.
        Just look in the thread from yesterday or the day before...

        Bye,
        Oliver
      • pacogozalez
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 9:09 AM
          Thanks Oliver, but i possibly did find another way.

          Using the NSLU2_V23R25_rc_flash.bin.gz firmware on the files section and a
          lot of playing around i finally got telnet root into the nslu2 "flash
          drive only".

          I did have to change the the files on the flash thow. The original setup
          would not work. And starting telnet is still not auto, due to my lack of
          linux knowledge. I do use the http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi?
          method for now.

          Seems like i will be able to have my webpage on the nslu2 soon....