Complete Newbie requiring guidance on configuring a Slug for use as a web-server

  • newbie2linux
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello,

      Please excuse my ignorance but I'm a complete newbie to all of this
      and would really appreciate some guidance on what steps exactly are
      required in order to configure a Slug for use as a web-server.

      I've visited nslu2-linux.org on several occasions now but feel
      absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer size of the site and still don't
      know where exactly to start and what exactly needs to be done in
      order to configure and use a Slug for use as a web server.

      I've unslung my Slug and have successfully managed to install Apache
      (from what I can gather as port :8080 has an Apache holding page on
      it) however I'm not 100% sure what needs to be done from here.

      What I'd like my Slug to do is host a small web-site with few .html
      pages, perhaps from a USB Stick or a USB External Hard Disk Drive
      however noise is something that I want to take into consideration.
      Anyway I've Unslung my Slug using a 512Mb USB Stick.

      I'd like to get something like phpbb (or similar) up and running and
      also phpgallery if at all possible (guess that a USB External Hard
      Disk Drive is going to be required rather than a USB Stick unless
      pics are hosted on another server).

      As my Linux knowledge is extremely limited (even though I enjoy and
      am keen to learn providing guided accordingly) I've no idea what
      needs to be done next nor how to go about what needs to be done in
      order to successfully configure a Slug for use as a web-server.

      Any help would be appreciated, please bear with me though as going
      too quickly or not explaining in too much detail is likely to result
      in complete confusion :-(.

      Thank you!.
      Kind Regards.