Trouble with DiversionScripts

  • kultcha
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      hi all,

      I've created two diversion scripts (rc.local and rc.xinetd)
      and put them /share/hdd/unslung with permissions matching those
      in /etc/rc.d, but without affect.

      Can anyone make a suggestion? Any boot log that I can check?

      Here they are:
      ----rc.xinetd to start telnetd (taken verbatim from the wiki)----
      #! /bin/sh
      if ( [ ! -f /etc/inetd.conf ] || !(grep telnetd /etc/inetd.conf -
      q) ) then
      echo "telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd"
      >> /etc/inetd.conf
      fi
      return 1

      ----rc.local-----
      #! /bin/sh
      /opt/etc/init.d/S56dnsmasq --addn-hosts=/etc/new_hosts
      return 1

      thanks much,
      bq
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        In message <drr9qn+eulv@...>, kultcha <rcq@...> writes
        >hi all,
        >
        >I've created two diversion scripts (rc.local and rc.xinetd)
        >and put them /share/hdd/unslung with permissions matching those
        >in /etc/rc.d, but without affect.
        If you are running Unslung 5.5 and you have unslung to the hard disk
        then they need to go in /share/hdd/data/unslung (that is where mine
        are).
        Not too sure if the Wiki pages show this but you will find with 5.5 that
        this is the same folder as /unslung. Using the full path is the best
        way to guarantee that you don't accidentally put your scripts in a flash
        ram folder which was quite easy with previous versions of the firmware.

        The permission settings for my scripts are chmod 0755.

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
          Thanks Robert, trouble fixed!

          Actually, I mistyped the script location. The wiki says diversion
          scripts should be in /share/hdd/conf/unslung, but DO NOT WORK there
          (on 5.5). They DO WORK in /share/hdd/data/unslung, as you said.
          The telnetd script works as advertized.

          Also note, the scripts do not work if end-of-lines have CR-LF,
          but must only have LF (yes, I know that's a given, but anyway :)

          My dnsmasq script was mistakenly calling another script that was
          already getting called at boot-time, so that had unrelated issues.

          Cheers,
          bq

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
            And you've updated the wiki with the correct information, right?

            -- Rod

            wrote:

            > In message <drr9qn+eulv@...>, kultcha <rcq@...> writes

            > >hi all,

            > >I've created two diversion scripts (rc.local and rc.xinetd)

            > >and put them /share/hdd/unslung with permissions matching those

            > >in /etc/rc.d, but without affect.

            > If you are running Unslung 5.5 and you have unslung to the hard
            disk
            > then they need to go in /share/hdd/data/unslung (that is where
            mine
            > are).

            > Not too sure if the Wiki pages show this but you will find with
            5.5 that
            > this is the same folder as /unslung. Using the full path is the
            best
            > way to guarantee that you don't accidentally put your scripts in a
            flash
            > ram folder which was quite easy with previous versions of the
            firmware.

            > The permission settings for my scripts are chmod 0755.

            > >Can anyone make a suggestion? Any boot log that I can check?

            > >Here they are:

            > >----rc.xinetd to start telnetd (taken verbatim from the wiki)----

            > >#! /bin/sh

            > >if ( [ ! -f /etc/inetd.conf ] || !(grep telnetd /etc/inetd.conf -

            > >q) ) then

            > >echo 'telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd'

            > >fi

            > >return 1

            > >----rc.local-----

            > >#! /bin/sh

            > >/opt/etc/init.d/S56dnsmasq --addn-hosts=/etc/new_hosts

            > >return 1

            > >thanks much,

            > >bq

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            > --
            > Robert Hammond

            > PGP:0x154144DA

            Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            Visit your group "nslu2-linux" on the web.
          • kultcha
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
              Right! :-)

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-
              linux@...> wrote:

              > And you've updated the wiki with the correct information, right?
              >
              > -- Rod

              telnetd /etc/inetd.conf -

              > > >q) ) then
              >
              > > >echo 'telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/telnetd'

              > > >fi
              >
              > > >return 1
              >

              > > >----rc.local-----
              >
              > > >#! /bin/sh
              >
              > > >/opt/etc/init.d/S56dnsmasq --addn-hosts=/etc/new_hosts
              >
              > > >return 1
              >

              > > >thanks much,
              >
              > > >bq

              > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > --
              > > Robert Hammond
              >
              > > PGP:0x154144DA

              > Communication and
              networking Wireless
              communication and networking
              Linksys nslu2

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              > Visit your group "nslu2-linux" on the web.
              Service.