How to create a filesystem?

  • Oliver Völker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 11:10 AM
      Hi!

      I'm no linux crack and I'm not able to use my external harddisk...
      Maybe I'm making a little stupid mistake...

      Ok...
      I've attached my 160GB USB drive to the slug.
      I've created an extended partiton:

      root@NLSU:/# fdisk /dev/sdb

      The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 19457.
      There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
      and could in certain setups cause problems with:
      1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
      2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
      (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

      Command (m for help): p

      Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sdb1 1 19457 156288321 5 Extended

      But I'm not able to create the filesystem:

      root@NLSU:/# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
      mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
      /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up superblock

      Where's my error?

      Sorry for this dummy question :(

      Bye,
      Oliver
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 12:24 PM
        Hello

        > But I'm not able to create the filesystem:

        Reboot the slug. The partition table is read at startup (and
        USB-insertion) but not after fdisk

        cu
      • Gerald L. Clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 5:52 PM
          Oliver Völker wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > I'm no linux crack and I'm not able to use my external harddisk...
          > Maybe I'm making a little stupid mistake...
          >
          > Ok...
          > I've attached my 160GB USB drive to the slug.
          > I've created an extended partiton:
          >
          > root@NLSU:/# fdisk /dev/sdb
          >
          > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 19457.
          > There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
          > and could in certain setups cause problems with:
          > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
          > 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
          > (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
          >
          > Command (m for help): p
          >
          > Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
          > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
          > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
          >
          > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          > /dev/sdb1 1 19457 156288321 5 Extended
          >
          > But I'm not able to create the filesystem:

          You can not make a filesystem on an extended partition.
          Extended partitions are created to hold partitions above partition 4.
          You don't say which operating system you are running on the NSLU2.
          Unslung requires partitions 1 2 and 3 as described in the Wiki.
          > root@NLSU:/# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
          > mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
          > /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up
          > superblock
          >

          > Where's my error?
          >

          > Sorry for this dummy question :(
          >

          > Bye,
          > Oliver

        • Oliver Voelker
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1 10:20 PM
            Hi!

            > You can not make a filesystem on an extended partition.
            > Extended partitions are created to hold partitions above partition 4.
            > You don't say which operating system you are running on the NSLU2.

            I'm running OpenSLUG...
            OK.. This was the error.
            I've deleted the partion and created a new primary partion. Noiw everything
            runns perfect.
            Thanks for the explanation.

            Using windows you can create only extended partions on a drive. That's why I
            made this misstake...

            Bye and thanks,
            Oliver