RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: Can I use a 256 MB CF card for unslinging to?

  • Gregg C Levine
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello from Gregg C Levine
      Close.
      I work with a gizmo called a BASIC Stamp. And the FTDI chips are used
      by the company who makes it to talk to the USB port on the PC. What
      I'd like to create is a method for data to be sent to the NSLU2 via
      its USB port.

      And actually the card reader I have is one of those Multi Readers. I
      only use the CF space.
      ---
      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
      ---
      "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        The multi-readers are multi-LUN devices; if it works in Unslung 5.5, it will be quite by accident.

        It *might* work in 6.5 alpha, but even that's doubtful.

        There is support for multi-LUN devices in the R63 firmware (basis for Unslung 6.5 alpha), but only on the "Disk 1" USB port. On that port, each flash card in a multi-LUN card reader will appear as a drive: sd2, sd3, etc. It's hard to know what the CF card will appear as, but if it is anything other than sd1 the firmware will not recognize it as a device that might be "unslingable".

        If your unit shows up with the R63 firmware, you can simply plug the flash device and reader into the "Disk 1" port, and see how it appears on the network. The name of the share will probably encode the drive number information. There's some info on R63 USB drive handling on the wiki that might help.

        Mike (mwester)

        > Hello from Gregg C Levine
        > Close.
        > I work with a gizmo called a BASIC Stamp. And the FTDI chips are used
        > by the company who makes it to talk to the USB port on the PC. What
        > I'd like to create is a method for data to be sent to the NSLU2 via
        > its USB port.
        >
        > And actually the card reader I have is one of those Multi Readers. I
        > only use the CF space.
        > ---
        > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
        > ---
        > "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi
      • fransmeulenbroeks
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

          > The multi-readers are multi-LUN devices; if it works in Unslung 5.5,
          it will be quite by accident.

          Not completely. If your card is in the slot that is LUN 0 it can be
          used. I recall having used that in the past.

          FM
        • Gregg C Levine
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
            Hello from Gregg C Levine
            Exactly right. The CF card slot is indeed on LUN0 according to the
            SCSI general utilities for my Linux distribution which is running on
            the second disk drive in my XP computer. However double-checking my
            sources, a Staples store in Manhattan by the way, card readers (single
            not double) are now available at reasonable prices from Sandisk. Since
            the actual card will probably be one of theirs I might obtain that
            reader from the same location.

            I'll keep planning this I think. When and if everything works out,
            I'll let everyone know about it. And make a concerted effort to write
            a reasonably easy to follow explanation for the website.
            ---