Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945.

  • Jochen Rüter
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi Douglas,

      I'm not really sure about how you want to build your BT-AP. In general,
      there are two different ways, which use two different BT protocols.
      Furthermore, if you choose the first way, you can choose between routing
      and bridging.

      This is the easiest way, if your PDA supports this profile. Sadly, all
      PDAs with Microsofts BT-Stack don't support this, so you have to go for
      solution 2.
      The NAP profile doesn't require any PPP stuff. For every connected
      BT-Device it creates a new network interface (BNEPx).

      1a) Routing
      When you choose this way (which is what i think you are doing) you can
      assign the PDA and the BNEP-interface ip's from the range you mentioned.
      Then you should be able to ping each other, but to access other devices
      on your local network (or the internet) you have to deal with routing
      (iptables...).

      1b) Bridging
      This is the way i chose. When your PDA connects via BT to the slug, you
      have to run a script which adds the bnep interface to a bridge (see
      linux bridging howto or
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/Bridging for how to setup a
      bridge).
      If you have a DHCP server already on your LAN, your PDA will receive all
      the necessary settings from there and you don't have to worry about any
      IPs and routing stuff.

      2) Use Dial-Up Profile
      This is the only way to get PDAs with M$-Stack to access the net. Here
      you will need all this PPP-stuff, and also you have to setup routing, as
      PPP-interfaces can't be bridge yet. A description can be found on the
      xda-developers wiki.

      Hope this helps,

      Jochen
    • Douglas Bush
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jochen Rüter <webseiten@j...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Douglas,
        >
        > I'm not really sure about how you want to build your BT-AP. In
        general,
        > there are two different ways, which use two different BT
        protocols.
        > Furthermore, if you choose the first way, you can choose between
        routing
        > and bridging.

        > This is the easiest way, if your PDA supports this profile. Sadly,
        all
        > PDAs with Microsofts BT-Stack don't support this, so you have to
        go for
        > solution 2.
        > The NAP profile doesn't require any PPP stuff. For every connected
        > BT-Device it creates a new network interface (BNEPx).
        >

        > 2) Use Dial-Up Profile
        > This is the only way to get PDAs with M$-Stack to access the net.
        Here
        > you will need all this PPP-stuff, and also you have to setup
        routing, as
        > PPP-interfaces can't be bridge yet. A description can be found on
        the
        > xda-developers wiki.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > Jochen

        Jochen,

        Thank you very much for this information. I think you may have hit
        the nail on the head.

        I would also like to say that your post would make an excellent lead
        into the various Howtos on the NSLU2 Linux site. Right now there is
        just a hodge podge of information, and not much is geared to the
        OpenSlug distro.

        I'm trying to use my slug as a NAP for my MS Pocket PC, and you're
        saying that the only way for me to do that is to create a PPP Dial
        Up, to access the net?

        Regards,

        Douglas.
      • Douglas Bush
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
          wrote:

          > Hi Douglas,

          > 1a) Routing
          > 1b) Bridging
          > This is the way i chose. When your PDA connects via BT to the
          slug, you
          > have to run a script which adds the bnep interface to a bridge
          >
          > 2) Use Dial-Up Profile
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Jochen

          Just to clarify, Routing or Bridging a Bluetooth NAP will not work
          with a Windows NAP access? Pocket PCs must use PPP-dial up?
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
            Douglas,

            By the community rules, since you asked the question it's your duty to add the information to the wiki. Please do so.

            -- Rod
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                Douglas Bush wrote:

                > Just to clarify, Routing or Bridging a Bluetooth NAP will not work
                > with a Windows NAP access? Pocket PCs must use PPP-dial up?

                Nope. There are PocketPCs with different Bluetooth Stacks out there,
                some use MS' stack, some use Widcomm's (or now Broadcom) stack. Widcomm
                *CAN* use options 1, only the devices with MS bluetooth stack are
                limited to option 2.

                Jochen

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Gregg C Levine
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                  Hello from Gregg C Levine
                  And that folks is my point. I don't know if anyone has seen my earlier
                  message regarding building custom images suffice to say it is possible
                  to use the tools and code from those characters to build a custom
                  image. Uploading it to the PDA however may (what else?) violate its
                  warranty. And if anyone wishes to discuss it further, please do so off
                  list.
                  ----
                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                  ---
                  "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi