Re: Spinning down a maxtor one touch... which one?

  • richdunlop
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1 2:16 AM
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Oliver Voelker" <o.voelker@g...>
      wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > > I read much about spinning down external storage devices and using a
      > > Maxtor
      > > OneTouch appears to be the most simple solution.
      >
      > You just want to have a hard disk which powers down if not in use?
      > You can just a Hitachi Deskstar harddisk.
      > These drives are supporting power management.
      > Hitachi provides a tool to set the time after which the drive powers
      down.
      > So let's say you tell the drive: Power down after 10 minutes idle
      time, it
      > will do so.
      > And if you try to access data on the drive it will power up again
      > automaticaly.
      > You can use the Hitachi drives in any external case you want.
      >
      > Bye,
      > Oliver

      I currently have a 160GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA drive in an icy box
      enclosure hooked up to my slug. Hitachi's APM (power management) tool
      is freely downloadable from their website and the APM seems to work
      well. The Hitachi firmware also allows for 'acoustic management'. As
      the icy box enclosure has no fan this solution gives me a very quiet,
      low power setup. Perfect.
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1 3:08 AM
        Hello

        > You just want to have a hard disk which powers down if not in use?
        > You can just a Hitachi Deskstar harddisk.

        Can you give me a exact modelnumber and/or size and speed of your disc ?

        Can sb confirm this ? (keeping APM settings over reset...)

        It would save me a bit money.

        thx
      • Oliver Völker
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1 4:10 AM
          Hi!

          LG> Can you give me a exact modelnumber and/or size and speed of your disc ?

          e.g. Deskstar 7K250
          http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.fdd9dbceef73222d92b86b31bac4f0a0/

          LG> Can sb confirm this ? (keeping APM settings over reset...)
          LG> It would save me a bit money.

          I've asked the Hitachi support and richdunlop confirmed this in an
          earlier posting from this morning

          Bye,
          Oliver
        • Laurent Gilson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1 4:33 AM
            Hello,

            > I've asked the Hitachi support and richdunlop confirmed this in an
            > earlier posting from this morning

            thx a lot, i'm off to buy one.

            cu