Re: [nslu2-linux] Spinning down a maxtor one touch... which one?

  • Oliver Voelker
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi!

      > I read much about spinning down external storage devices and using a
      > Maxtor
      > OneTouch appears to be the most simple solution.

      You just want to have a hard disk which powers down if not in use?
      You can just a Hitachi Deskstar harddisk.
      These drives are supporting power management.
      Hitachi provides a tool to set the time after which the drive powers down.
      So let's say you tell the drive: Power down after 10 minutes idle time, it
      will do so.
      And if you try to access data on the drive it will power up again
      automaticaly.
      You can use the Hitachi drives in any external case you want.

      Bye,
      Oliver
    • richdunlop
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Oliver Voelker" <o.voelker@g...>
        wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > > I read much about spinning down external storage devices and using a
        > > Maxtor
        > > OneTouch appears to be the most simple solution.
        >
        > You just want to have a hard disk which powers down if not in use?
        > You can just a Hitachi Deskstar harddisk.
        > These drives are supporting power management.
        > Hitachi provides a tool to set the time after which the drive powers
        down.
        > So let's say you tell the drive: Power down after 10 minutes idle
        time, it
        > will do so.
        > And if you try to access data on the drive it will power up again
        > automaticaly.
        > You can use the Hitachi drives in any external case you want.
        >
        > Bye,
        > Oliver

        I currently have a 160GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA drive in an icy box
        enclosure hooked up to my slug. Hitachi's APM (power management) tool
        is freely downloadable from their website and the APM seems to work
        well. The Hitachi firmware also allows for 'acoustic management'. As
        the icy box enclosure has no fan this solution gives me a very quiet,
        low power setup. Perfect.
      • Mark Ingendahl
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hi!

            > and it's possible to reconfigure this behaviour without attaching the
            > drive
            > directly to the PC's IDE controller? Will say: via USB after installing it
            > into an external case?

            No. You can't send the nessasary commands through the usb-ide converter :(

            bye,Oliver
          • Laurent Gilson
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
              Hello

              > You just want to have a hard disk which powers down if not in use?
              > You can just a Hitachi Deskstar harddisk.

              Can you give me a exact modelnumber and/or size and speed of your disc ?

              Can sb confirm this ? (keeping APM settings over reset...)

              It would save me a bit money.

              thx
            • Oliver Völker
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
                Hi!

                LG> Can you give me a exact modelnumber and/or size and speed of your disc ?

                e.g. Deskstar 7K250
                http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.fdd9dbceef73222d92b86b31bac4f0a0/

                LG> Can sb confirm this ? (keeping APM settings over reset...)
                LG> It would save me a bit money.

                I've asked the Hitachi support and richdunlop confirmed this in an
                earlier posting from this morning

                Bye,
                Oliver
              • Laurent Gilson
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Hello,

                  > I've asked the Hitachi support and richdunlop confirmed this in an
                  > earlier posting from this morning

                  thx a lot, i'm off to buy one.

                  cu