Can I use a 256 MB CF card for unslinging to?

  • Gregg C Levine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hello from Gregg C Levine
      (First of, the standard disclaimer: I am a user of Linux, on the
      desktop. My NSLU2 is still "on order" as the outfit who is trying to
      send it to me has it on a very long backorder. They are talking about
      March or April.)

      I have here a CF reader. It was originally intended for people to use
      to retrieve their pictures from the card rather then via the usual
      methods for the camera.

      That being said, can I use a 256 MB CF card in that for the same
      purposes as a HD unit for unslung to? The notes in the Wiki regarding
      memory sticks and the NSLU2 are quite easy to follow. However I
      decided to ask this question here.

      I should also mention that there is an article in the January issue of
      Linux Journal that covers using an NSLU2 as a media server, MP3 files
      in fact, and it covers the whole purpose of swapping stock firmware
      for one of the ones discussed on the site, and here.

      And another question, since my work is such as that described below,
      should I be selecting the other replacement firmware rather then the
      one I've described?

      I should also add that since my purposes for using everything
      described here is for an experiment concerning the FTDI USB device
      interface unit that was described here last week. In my case I will be
      ordering a pre-built unit from Mouser, in case anyone is curious.

      Rod, if you wish when, and if, this whole business works I would be
      delighted to write it up for a success page for the home pages.
      ---
      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
      ---
      "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi
    • dustinemptyspace
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
        If the card-reader is not an all-in-one device (a device which reads
        many different types of cards) but has only one slot for the CF cards,
        than it should be no problem.
        I never tested suvh solution, but in my opinion it should work fine.

        What do you intend to do with the FTDI USB device interface unit? Do
        you want to drive a FPGA and realize a multiprocessor NSLU2?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"
        <hansolofalcon@w...> wrote:

        > Hello from Gregg C Levine
        > (First of, the standard disclaimer: I am a user of Linux, on the
        > desktop. My NSLU2 is still "on order" as the outfit who is trying to
        > send it to me has it on a very long backorder. They are talking about
        > March or April.)
        >
        > I have here a CF reader. It was originally intended for people to use
        > to retrieve their pictures from the card rather then via the usual
        > methods for the camera.
        >
        > That being said, can I use a 256 MB CF card in that for the same
        > purposes as a HD unit for unslung to? The notes in the Wiki regarding
        > memory sticks and the NSLU2 are quite easy to follow. However I
        > decided to ask this question here.
        >
        > I should also mention that there is an article in the January issue of
        > Linux Journal that covers using an NSLU2 as a media server, MP3 files
        > in fact, and it covers the whole purpose of swapping stock firmware
        > for one of the ones discussed on the site, and here.
        >
        > And another question, since my work is such as that described below,
        > should I be selecting the other replacement firmware rather then the
        > one I've described?
        >
        > I should also add that since my purposes for using everything
        > described here is for an experiment concerning the FTDI USB device
        > interface unit that was described here last week. In my case I will be
        > ordering a pre-built unit from Mouser, in case anyone is curious.
        >
        > Rod, if you wish when, and if, this whole business works I would be
        > delighted to write it up for a success page for the home pages.
        > ---
        > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@w...
        > ---
        > "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

      • fransmeulenbroeks
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          Gregg, I have accessed a CF card in the past (but this was using
          openslug).

          If you can access the card, then you should be able to unsling to it
          (as it is just a USB mass storage device). Issue could be is that some
          card readers are multi-lun (because they support different memory
          devices). I'm not sure if unslung will be able to handle this.

          FM
        • Gregg C Levine
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hello from Gregg C Levine
            Close.
            I work with a gizmo called a BASIC Stamp. And the FTDI chips are used
            by the company who makes it to talk to the USB port on the PC. What
            I'd like to create is a method for data to be sent to the NSLU2 via
            its USB port.

            And actually the card reader I have is one of those Multi Readers. I
            only use the CF space.
            ---

          • mwester@dls.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              The multi-readers are multi-LUN devices; if it works in Unslung 5.5, it will be quite by accident.

              It *might* work in 6.5 alpha, but even that's doubtful.

              There is support for multi-LUN devices in the R63 firmware (basis for Unslung 6.5 alpha), but only on the "Disk 1" USB port. On that port, each flash card in a multi-LUN card reader will appear as a drive: sd2, sd3, etc. It's hard to know what the CF card will appear as, but if it is anything other than sd1 the firmware will not recognize it as a device that might be "unslingable".

              If your unit shows up with the R63 firmware, you can simply plug the flash device and reader into the "Disk 1" port, and see how it appears on the network. The name of the share will probably encode the drive number information. There's some info on R63 USB drive handling on the wiki that might help.

              Mike (mwester)

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

                > The multi-readers are multi-LUN devices; if it works in Unslung 5.5,
                it will be quite by accident.

                Not completely. If your card is in the slot that is LUN 0 it can be
                used. I recall having used that in the past.

                FM
              • Gregg C Levine
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Hello from Gregg C Levine
                  Exactly right. The CF card slot is indeed on LUN0 according to the
                  SCSI general utilities for my Linux distribution which is running on
                  the second disk drive in my XP computer. However double-checking my
                  sources, a Staples store in Manhattan by the way, card readers (single
                  not double) are now available at reasonable prices from Sandisk. Since
                  the actual card will probably be one of theirs I might obtain that
                  reader from the same location.

                  I'll keep planning this I think. When and if everything works out,
                  I'll let everyone know about it. And make a concerted effort to write
                  a reasonably easy to follow explanation for the website.
                  ---