debianslug will not boot from disk

  • Kristian Alvestad
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2006
      I've set up debianslug sid on on a 250gb disk of mine. it's a turboslug
      qnd the disk is supposed to boot from /dev/sda5 (/) with /home on
      /dev/sda1 and swap on /dev/sda7. I've followed the guide every step, but
      it would not come up when I reebooted it. This was because I had forgotten
      to configure openssh-server, so I did, but now it refuses the 'turnup disk
      /dev/sda5 -t ext3' command.

      I get /sbin/turnup: umounting any existing mount of /dev/mtdblock4
      turnup: /tmp/rootfs.1416: partition does not seem to be a valid root
      partition
      /tmp/rootfs.1416/.recovery exists: fix the partition then remove it

      What rootfs.1416 (number changes for every time I do turnup) this file
      does not exist!

      Now what?
    • John Bowler
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2006
        From: Kristian Alvestad
        > /tmp/rootfs.1416/.recovery exists: fix the partition then remove it

        I.e. /tmp/rootfs.$$/.recovery, $$ being the process id of the shell
        running the script (turnup) and /tmp/rootfs.$$ being the temporary
        directory created on which to mount /dev/sda5 while the script eyeballs
        it for problems.

        >What rootfs.1416 (number changes for every time I do turnup) this file
        >does not exist!

        It's talking about the file .recovery inside /dev/sda5, I guess I could
        call it /dev/sda5/.recovery

        John Bowler <jbowler@...>
      • Adrian Day
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
          Kristian,

          On 1/31/06, John Bowler <jbowler@...> wrote:
          > From: Kristian Alvestad
          > > /tmp/rootfs.1416/.recovery exists: fix the partition then remove it
          >
          > I.e. /tmp/rootfs.$$/.recovery, $$ being the process id of the shell
          > running the script (turnup) and /tmp/rootfs.$$ being the temporary
          > directory created on which to mount /dev/sda5 while the script eyeballs
          > it for problems.
          >
          > >What rootfs.1416 (number changes for every time I do turnup) this file
          > >does not exist!
          >
          > It's talking about the file .recovery inside /dev/sda5, I guess I could
          > call it /dev/sda5/.recovery

          The fix is easy. Boot your slug with no disks attached. Attach the
          disk. Mount /dev/sda5 somewhere (/mnt). Delete /mnt/.recovery

          It may be worth checking that you've edited
          /mnt/etc/rcS.d/checkroot.sh to include

          rm -f /.recovery

          It needs to go very close to the end of the file, just after another
          instance of 'rm....'

          Unmount /dev/sda5 and re-run turnup

          turnup disk /dev/sda5 -t ext3

          All should now work. You know what to do if it isn't ;-)

          --
          Adrian