Re: [nslu2-linux] http stress

  • Glen Duncan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
      On Jan 30, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Gelan Hopkins wrote:

      > Hi there!
      >
      > I've just set up a blog using wordpress for myself and am a little
      > concerned
      > about the stress that it seems to be putting on my little slug. I
      > notice it
      > takes a long time to load pages, which I can live with because it's
      > a little
      > tiny box ;)
      >
      > But, it seems to me accessing the hard disk a lot. It's probably
      > just using
      > the swap space, but I'm concerned that It might not have enough swap.
      >
      > Is there a lighter alternative to apache that I could use, or maybe
      > a way to
      > disable modules in apache that I don't need for wordpress?

      Try reducing the number of child servers. Goto the prefork.c section
      of /etc/apache/httpd.conf. Lower
      MaxClients, MaxSpareServers, MinSpareServers, and StartServers to
      sane values. The default config
      starts five with child processes and allows up to 10. Top reveals
      that each process consumes 9% of memory.
      My slug started with 5 and a 6th soon appeared. Those first five
      consumed *HALF* of the available memory.
      This is without PHP or MySQL. Hopefully you're running the db on
      another machine, otherwise it isn't likely
      you're going to keep the machine from swapping out. Good luck!
      (you're gonna need it!) :p

      -Glen
    • Gelan Hopkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
        I limited pretty much everything. I halved everything I could. We'll see
        about speed.

        Well, I have an AMD X2 3800+ running Mandriva Linux sitting here with a few
        extra cpu cycles and a little extra RAM.

        I'm just wondering how I could run the SQL database on the big box and have
        the little linksys serve it up.

        Any suggestions?

        >From: Glen Duncan <dazed@...>
        >To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] http stress
        >Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:31:52 -0500
        >

        >On Jan 30, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Gelan Hopkins wrote:
        >

        > > Hi there!
        >

        > > I've just set up a blog using wordpress for myself and am a little
        >
        > > concerned
        >
        > > about the stress that it seems to be putting on my little slug. I
        >
        > > notice it
        >
        > > takes a long time to load pages, which I can live with because it's
        >
        > > a little
        >
        > > tiny box ;)
        >

        > > But, it seems to me accessing the hard disk a lot. It's probably
        >
        > > just using
        >
        > > the swap space, but I'm concerned that It might not have enough swap.
        >

        > > Is there a lighter alternative to apache that I could use, or maybe
        >
        > > a way to
        >
        > > disable modules in apache that I don't need for wordpress?
        >

        >Try reducing the number of child servers. Goto the prefork.c section
        >
        >of /etc/apache/httpd.conf. Lower
        >
        >MaxClients, MaxSpareServers, MinSpareServers, and StartServers to
        >
        >sane values. The default config
        >
        >starts five with child processes and allows up to 10. Top reveals
        >
        >that each process consumes 9% of memory.
        >
        >My slug started with 5 and a 6th soon appeared. Those first five
        >
        >consumed *HALF* of the available memory.
        >
        >This is without PHP or MySQL. Hopefully you're running the db on
        >
        >another machine, otherwise it isn't likely
        >
        >you're going to keep the machine from swapping out. Good luck!
        >
        >(you're gonna need it!) :p
        >

        >-Glen

        > Communication and networking
        >

        > Wireless communication and networking
        >

        > Linksys nslu2

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > Visit your group "nslu2-linux" on the web.

      • Avinesh Bangar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006

          I'm running Apache 2.0.54 + PHP 5.0.4 + eAccelerator 0.9.2 + MySQL 4.x on one slug.  Don't bother tweaking the directives under prefork.c -- it isn't compiled in.  You only need to concern yourself with worker.c.

          As for removing modules you probably don't need, my configuration only has the following:

          LoadModule access_module libexec/mod_access.so
          LoadModule log_config_module libexec/mod_log_config.so
          LoadModule setenvif_module libexec/mod_setenvif.so
          LoadModule mime_module libexec/mod_mime.so
          LoadModule autoindex_module libexec/mod_autoindex.so
          LoadModule dir_module libexec/mod_dir.so
          LoadModule alias_module libexec/mod_alias.so
          LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/mod_rewrite.so

          You will need to edit the language directives and some other things, but it will end up saving you quite a bit of memory.

          As for the MySQL configuration, my configuration is as such:

          max_connections = 10
          skip-locking
          skip-innodb
          skip-networking
          skip-bdb
          server-id = 1
          key_buffer = 16K
          max_allowed_packet = 1M
          table_cache = 4
          sort_buffer_size = 16K
          read_buffer_size = 64K
          read_rnd_buffer_size = 64K
          net_buffer_length = 1K
          thread_stack = 64K

          To restart the respective services, run the following:

          /opt/sbin/httpd -k restart
          and
          /opt/etc/init.d/S70mysqld restart

          The above setup works well, even with WordPress 1.5.x installed.  Not much swapping at all, especially with eAccelerator installed.

          Regards,
          Avinesh

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006

            As for running MySQL on your Win32 box, it can be done fairly easily.  To make your life easier, install something like EasyPHP 1.8 or so.  Once that is installed, go into phpMyAdmin and edit the mysql host, user and db tables to restrict access to the wordpress database running on the Win32 box.  After that, reload MySQL and ensure you edit wp-config.php to point to the Win32 box.  I had two turbo slugs (MySQL on second slug) before, but have resorted to just one slug after tweaking my configuration a bit through trial and error.  If you need more help, let me know.

          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
              In message <BAY107-F18DB2534F4D1FA2B7BB4C6BF080@...>, Gelan Hopkins
              <purelithium@...> writes
              >Hi there!
              >
              >I've just set up a blog using wordpress for myself and am a little concerned
              >about the stress that it seems to be putting on my little slug. I notice it
              >takes a long time to load pages, which I can live with because it's a little
              >tiny box ;)
              >
              >But, it seems to me accessing the hard disk a lot. It's probably just using
              >the swap space, but I'm concerned that It might not have enough swap.
              >
              >Is there a lighter alternative to apache that I could use, or maybe a way to
              >disable modules in apache that I don't need for wordpress?

              Cherokee with the CgiPhp module is an alternative worth trying. Do note
              that there is a small bug with the latest Cherokee installer. You will
              probably need to create an empty config file /opt/etc/cherokee/mime.conf
              for it to work.

              You can find the location of the CgiPhp module by searching through
              these groups.

              Cherokee rocks on the NSLU2.

              I started with Phphttpd and had many problems getting it to load some
              Php web pages. Then moved to Apache, works just fine but is resource
              heavy. Now moved on to Cherokee with the CgiPhp module.

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                Win32 *scoff* Yeah right, I won't touch windows with a 10 foot pole for
                being a server. Linux baby.

                But That sounds great. I'm not a newbie to linux, but when it comes to
                setting up my own server and the like, I'm a real novice.

                Ok, sounds good. Thanks for all the pointers!

                Gelan Hopkins

                >Hi,
                >
                >As for running MySQL on your Win32 box, it can be done fairly easily. To
                >make your life easier, install something like EasyPHP 1.8 or so. Once that
                >is installed, go into phpMyAdmin and edit the mysql host, user and db
                >tables
                >to restrict access to the wordpress database running on the Win32 box.
                >After that, reload MySQL and ensure you edit wp-config.php to point to the
                >Win32 box. I had two turbo slugs (MySQL on second slug) before, but have
                >resorted to just one slug after tweaking my configuration a bit through
                >trial and error. If you need more help, let me know.
                >
                >Regards,
                >Avinesh
                >
                >On 1/30/06, Gelan Hopkins <purelithium@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I limited pretty much everything. I halved everything I could. We'll see
                > > about speed.
                > >
                > > Well, I have an AMD X2 3800+ running Mandriva Linux sitting here with a
                > > few
                > > extra cpu cycles and a little extra RAM.
                > >
                > > I'm just wondering how I could run the SQL database on the big box and
                > > have
                > > the little linksys serve it up.
                > >
                > > Any suggestions?
                > >

                > > >From: Glen Duncan <dazed@...>
                > > >To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
                > > >Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] http stress
                > > >Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:31:52 -0500

                >swap.

                > > >Try reducing the number of child servers. Goto the prefork.c section
                > > >
                > > >of /etc/apache/httpd.conf. Lower
                > > >
                > > >MaxClients, MaxSpareServers, MinSpareServers, and StartServers to
                > > >
                > > >sane values. The default config
                > > >
                > > >starts five with child processes and allows up to 10. Top reveals
                > > >
                > > >that each process consumes 9% of memory.
                > > >
                > > >My slug started with 5 and a 6th soon appeared. Those first five
                > > >
                > > >consumed *HALF* of the available memory.
                > > >
                > > >This is without PHP or MySQL. Hopefully you're running the db on
                > > >
                > > >another machine, otherwise it isn't likely
                > > >
                > > >you're going to keep the machine from swapping out. Good luck!
                > > >
                > > >(you're gonna need it!) :p
                > > >

                > > >-Glen

                > > > Communication and networking
                > > >

                > > > Wireless communication and networking
                > > >

                > > > Linksys nslu2

                > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > > >

                > > > Visit your group "nslu2-linux" on the web.

                >Service.

                > > Communication and
                >networking<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw>
                >Wireless
                > > communication and
                >networking<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw>
                >Linksys

                > > ------------------------------

              • Avinesh Bangar
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                  Ahh ok, sorry for assuming Win32 then.  From the hardware specs, it sounded like you were running XP on it or so ;)  I have the same opinion about servers -- Linux or UNIX only.

                • Marcel Nijenhof
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                    On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 00:18 -0500, Gelan Hopkins wrote:

                    > Well, I have an AMD X2 3800+ running Mandriva Linux sitting here with
                    > a few
                    > extra cpu cycles and a little extra RAM.
                    >

                    > Any suggestions?

                    Why not run the complete webapplication there and use a reverse
                    proxy?

                    Marceln
                  • Gelan Hopkins
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2006
                      Well, that would ruin the fun of using the slug as a server, right?

                      Gelan