Can't Get Bluetooth Network Access Point to work with iPAQ 1945.

  • Douglas Bush
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm struggling to get my iPaq HP1945 to work with the
      OpenSlug/Bluetooth NAP. I did a fresh install of OpenSlug 2.7 Beta
      as per the instructions on the NSLU2-Linux web site. I then
      installed Bluetooth and configured PPP as per the instructions on
      the website. I'm using a Linksys Bluetooth adapter.

      From the iPaq, I can pair the Slug with the iPaq. They seem to see
      each other, and their appropriate properties. From the NSLU2 I have
      even been able to perform physical layer pings or the iPAQ (by its
      MAC address). I have not been able to perform TCP\IP Pings from the
      NSLU2 to the iPaq.

      I cannot get network access from the iPaq or the NSLU2. As of now I
      suspect this is a configuration issue on either the iPaq or the Slug.

      My network is behind a Linksys wireless firewall. My local subnet
      is 192.168.1.XXX. The Slug has the IP address 192.168.1.78. Do I
      need to create a new subnet for the PPP connection? I decided to
      use 10.0.0.XXX, but I have not performed any configuration of this
      subnet outside of the PPP config and the iPaq.

      Anyways, the PPP configuration I'm using is per the
      instructions... ;
      noauth
      crtscts
      lock
      local
      proxyarp
      ktune
      10.0.0.1:10.0.02
      ms-dns 192.168.1.1

      Do I need to do anything else to configure the NSLU2 so it can
      provide network access for the Bluetooth iPaq? I want to stress
      that I haven't configured anything else in the NSLU2 networking.
      (Its pretty much Slug default with fixed IP and DNS servers.)

      Am I supposed to configure the Bluetooth Linksys MAC address in
      RFCOMM.CONF?

      I configured the iPaq to use the NAP, and for its Network
      configuration I used 10.0.0.2 as its IP address, and 10.0.0.1 as its
      gateway.

      I did not configure it to use a PPP dialup or modem, since most of
      those configs seem to want a dial up phone number or have a login
      screen. (Neither of which seem to be in the NSLU2 bluetooth
      configuration.)

      When I attempt to connect www.google.com from Internet Explorer, the
      iPaq says I need to configure the Proxy Server.

      Regards,

      Douglas.
    • Douglas Bush
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
        After considerable effort I'm able to get ICMP pings from the Slug
        (named PDA) to the iPaq, and from my Windows PC to the iPaq.

        My home subnet is 192.168.1.XX, and the PDA subnet is 10.0.0.XX.

        I still can't get my iPaq to surf the internet which is what I
        really want it to be able to do.

        Here's what I'm using for the configuration so far;

        My /etc/ppp/options reads;
        noauth
        crtscts
        lock
        local
        proxyarp
        ktune
        10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2
        ms-dns 10.0.0.1

        (I perform the "modprobe hci_usb" everytime the system reboots.)

        I then performed the later half of the configuration for the
        NetworkSlugOverBluetooth instructions, like So;

        root@PDA:~# hciconfig
        hci0: Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:0C:41:E1:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH ENCRYPT
        RX bytes:2573 acl:49 sco:0 events:41 errors:0
        TX bytes:685 acl:14 sco:0 commands:18 errors:0

        with my ipaq turned on hci enquires generated something like;
        root@PDA:~# hcitool inq
        Inquiring ...
        00:04:3E:A2:XX:XX clock offset: 0x26e7 class:
        0x120110

        Next I added bnep0 to the interfaces (like so);
        # /etc/network/interfaces
        # configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
        #
        # The loopback interface
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        #
        # The NSLU2 built-in ethernet
        auto eth0
        # Automatically generated from /etc/default/sysconf
        # The pre-up option must always be supplied, regardless
        # of configuration, to set the hardware correctly.
        # Severe network problems may result if this option is
        # removed.
        iface eth0 inet static
        pre-up ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:0F:66:7D:XX:XX
        address 192.168.1.78
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

        iface bnep0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        gateway 10.0.0.1

        I created the pan directory in the /etc/bluetooth directory, and
        added a file called dev-up with the following content;
        #!/bin/sh
        ifup bnep0

        I made it executable with;
        chmod u+x dev-up

        root@PDA:~# ifconfig
        bnep0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:41:E1:XX:XX
        inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
        RX bytes:16 (16.0 B) TX bytes:100 (100.0 B)

        eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:66:7D:XX:XX
        inet addr:192.168.1.78 Bcast:192.168.1.255
        Mask:255.255.255.0
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:256
        RX bytes:17522 (17.1 KiB) TX bytes:14067 (13.7 KiB)

        lo Link encap:Local Loopback
        inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
        RX bytes:100 (100.0 B) TX bytes:100 (100.0 B)

        This is how I configured the iPaq;
        To configure my iPaq first I go to;Settings;Connections;Connections-
        Advanced;Network-Card;
        I select Work, and Bluetooth PAN User Driver;
        I select User Specific IP Address;
        IP Address: 10.0.0.2
        Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
        Name Servers:
        DNS: 154.11.129.XX
        Alt DNS: 154.11.129.XX
        WINS:
        Alt WINS:

        I then turn BlueTooth On
        I pair the iPaq to the Slug.
        Then I do a New;Connect!
        Select; Explore Bluetooth Device; Next
        I picked my Slug from the list of devices; Next
        Finish

        This is how I configured my Linksys Router;
        Destination LAN IP 10.0.0.2
        Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
        Default gateway: 192.168.1.78

        I've fiddled quite a bit with adding routes, and even bridges, but
        nothing seems to enable the iPaq to perform a DNS lookup for google,
        and pull up the web site.

        The iPaq says that in order to connect to the internet, I will need
        to configure a proxy server.

        Please, could someone point me in the right direction?

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Bush"
        <peterdouglasbush@y...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm struggling to get my iPaq HP1945 to work with the
        > OpenSlug/Bluetooth NAP. I did a fresh install of OpenSlug 2.7 Beta
        > as per the instructions on the NSLU2-Linux web site. I then
        > installed Bluetooth and configured PPP as per the instructions on
        > the website. I'm using a Linksys Bluetooth adapter.
        >
        > From the iPaq, I can pair the Slug with the iPaq. They seem to see
        > each other, and their appropriate properties. From the NSLU2 I have
        > even been able to perform physical layer pings or the iPAQ (by its
        > MAC address). I have not been able to perform TCP\IP Pings from the
        > NSLU2 to the iPaq.
        >
        > I cannot get network access from the iPaq or the NSLU2. As of now I
        > suspect this is a configuration issue on either the iPaq or the
        Slug.

        > My network is behind a Linksys wireless firewall. My local subnet
        > is 192.168.1.XXX. The Slug has the IP address 192.168.1.78. Do I
        > need to create a new subnet for the PPP connection? I decided to
        > use 10.0.0.XXX, but I have not performed any configuration of this
        > subnet outside of the PPP config and the iPaq.
        >
        > Anyways, the PPP configuration I'm using is per the
        > instructions... ;
        > noauth
        > crtscts
        > lock
        > local
        > proxyarp
        > ktune
        > 10.0.0.1:10.0.02
        > ms-dns 192.168.1.1
        >
        > Do I need to do anything else to configure the NSLU2 so it can
        > provide network access for the Bluetooth iPaq? I want to stress
        > that I haven't configured anything else in the NSLU2 networking.
        > (Its pretty much Slug default with fixed IP and DNS servers.)
        >
        > Am I supposed to configure the Bluetooth Linksys MAC address in
        > RFCOMM.CONF?
        >
        > I configured the iPaq to use the NAP, and for its Network
        > configuration I used 10.0.0.2 as its IP address, and 10.0.0.1 as
        its
        > gateway.
        >
        > I did not configure it to use a PPP dialup or modem, since most of
        > those configs seem to want a dial up phone number or have a login
        > screen. (Neither of which seem to be in the NSLU2 bluetooth
        > configuration.)
        >
        > When I attempt to connect www.google.com from Internet Explorer,
        the
        > iPaq says I need to configure the Proxy Server.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Douglas.

      • Jochen Rüter
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Douglas,

          I'm not really sure about how you want to build your BT-AP. In general,
          there are two different ways, which use two different BT protocols.
          Furthermore, if you choose the first way, you can choose between routing
          and bridging.

          This is the easiest way, if your PDA supports this profile. Sadly, all
          PDAs with Microsofts BT-Stack don't support this, so you have to go for
          solution 2.
          The NAP profile doesn't require any PPP stuff. For every connected
          BT-Device it creates a new network interface (BNEPx).

          1a) Routing
          When you choose this way (which is what i think you are doing) you can
          assign the PDA and the BNEP-interface ip's from the range you mentioned.
          Then you should be able to ping each other, but to access other devices
          on your local network (or the internet) you have to deal with routing
          (iptables...).

          1b) Bridging
          This is the way i chose. When your PDA connects via BT to the slug, you
          have to run a script which adds the bnep interface to a bridge (see
          linux bridging howto or
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/Bridging for how to setup a
          bridge).
          If you have a DHCP server already on your LAN, your PDA will receive all
          the necessary settings from there and you don't have to worry about any
          IPs and routing stuff.

          2) Use Dial-Up Profile
          This is the only way to get PDAs with M$-Stack to access the net. Here
          you will need all this PPP-stuff, and also you have to setup routing, as
          PPP-interfaces can't be bridge yet. A description can be found on the
          xda-developers wiki.

          Hope this helps,

          Jochen
        • Douglas Bush
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jochen Rüter <webseiten@j...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Douglas,
            >
            > I'm not really sure about how you want to build your BT-AP. In
            general,
            > there are two different ways, which use two different BT
            protocols.
            > Furthermore, if you choose the first way, you can choose between
            routing
            > and bridging.

            > This is the easiest way, if your PDA supports this profile. Sadly,
            all
            > PDAs with Microsofts BT-Stack don't support this, so you have to
            go for
            > solution 2.
            > The NAP profile doesn't require any PPP stuff. For every connected
            > BT-Device it creates a new network interface (BNEPx).
            >

            > 2) Use Dial-Up Profile
            > This is the only way to get PDAs with M$-Stack to access the net.
            Here
            > you will need all this PPP-stuff, and also you have to setup
            routing, as
            > PPP-interfaces can't be bridge yet. A description can be found on
            the
            > xda-developers wiki.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Jochen

            Jochen,

            Thank you very much for this information. I think you may have hit
            the nail on the head.

            I would also like to say that your post would make an excellent lead
            into the various Howtos on the NSLU2 Linux site. Right now there is
            just a hodge podge of information, and not much is geared to the
            OpenSlug distro.

            I'm trying to use my slug as a NAP for my MS Pocket PC, and you're
            saying that the only way for me to do that is to create a PPP Dial
            Up, to access the net?

            Regards,

            Douglas.
          • Douglas Bush
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
              wrote:

              > Hi Douglas,

              > 1a) Routing
              > 1b) Bridging
              > This is the way i chose. When your PDA connects via BT to the
              slug, you
              > have to run a script which adds the bnep interface to a bridge
              >
              > 2) Use Dial-Up Profile
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              >
              > Jochen

              Just to clarify, Routing or Bridging a Bluetooth NAP will not work
              with a Windows NAP access? Pocket PCs must use PPP-dial up?
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
                Douglas,

                By the community rules, since you asked the question it's your duty to add the information to the wiki. Please do so.

                -- Rod
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                    Douglas Bush wrote:

                    > Just to clarify, Routing or Bridging a Bluetooth NAP will not work
                    > with a Windows NAP access? Pocket PCs must use PPP-dial up?

                    Nope. There are PocketPCs with different Bluetooth Stacks out there,
                    some use MS' stack, some use Widcomm's (or now Broadcom) stack. Widcomm
                    *CAN* use options 1, only the devices with MS bluetooth stack are
                    limited to option 2.

                    Jochen

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Gregg C Levine
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
                      Hello from Gregg C Levine
                      And that folks is my point. I don't know if anyone has seen my earlier
                      message regarding building custom images suffice to say it is possible
                      to use the tools and code from those characters to build a custom
                      image. Uploading it to the PDA however may (what else?) violate its
                      warranty. And if anyone wishes to discuss it further, please do so off
                      list.
                      ----
                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                      ---
                      "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi