RE: [nslu2-linux] Upgrade OpenSlug kernel for OpenDebianSlugsystem?

  • John Bowler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
      From: Phil Endecott

      >> Power down, pull the disk, power up, turnup ram, reboot, reflash,
      >> update the Debian rootfs (you might need to do this *before* the
      >> other steps).
      >
      >Thanks John. Can you explain why I need to do anything to the Debian
      >rootfs?

      No, because I know nothing about how the Debian stuff works. I do
      know that reflash does not update the rootfs, only the flash images,
      therefore, since you used OpenSlug 2.7, the flash image knows nothing
      about Debian either.

      The general wiki guide to upgrading applies here too - you need to
      make the rootfs compatible with the new kernel. The general recovery
      methods work too - pull the disk, boot to flash and use this to
      examine the disk root partition.

      What won't work in this scenario is using ipkg to upgrade the rootfs
      remotely, but you can chroot to the rootfs and run Debian commands
      from there.

      John Bowler <jbowler@...>