Re: [nslu2-linux] V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.5-alpha installation report

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
      On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:19 +0000, kagyau wrote:

      > unslinging:
      > since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
      > decided to unsling to the disk in hub2.
      >
      > - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
      > script
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
      > I have to swap flash and hdd.

      Why didn't you decide to unsling to disk 1 and attach this disk
      to the hub?

      As far as i remember that works as well.

      But i only tested it with flash disks added after the boot.

      Marceln
    • Kevin Glynn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        On 04/01/06, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:19 +0000, kagyau wrote:
        >
        > > unslinging:
        > > since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
        > > decided to unsling to the disk in hub2.
        > >
        > > - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
        > > script
        > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
        > > I have to swap flash and hdd.
        >
        > Why didn't you decide to unsling to disk 1 and attach this disk
        > to the hub?
        >
        > As far as i remember that works as well.
        >
        > But i only tested it with flash disks added after the boot.

        I am sure it would work, but it is more convenient to have the disk
        that must be permanently attached to the slug on port 2 and use the
        hub for the transient devices.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          One question would be regarding the naming of multiple devices on the hub - if you put the unslung disk there, and then plug in another disk "before" it, then I'm not sure if Unslung would continue to boot from the renumbered disk. I guess we could try and support that case, but I think it's easier (especially through documentation) to simply say unalung rootfs on disk 2 and all other data disks on disk 1 (with a hub if required).

          -- Rod
          On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:19 +0000, kagyau wrote:

          > unslinging:
          since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
          decided to unsling to the disk in hub2.

          - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
          script
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
          I have to swap flash and hdd.

          Why didn't you decide to unsling to disk 1 and attach this disk
          to the hub?

          As far as i remember that works as well.

          But i only tested it with flash disks added after the boot.

          Marceln

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
            On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 08:25 +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:

            > One question would be regarding the naming of multiple devices on the
            > hub - if you put the unslung disk there, and then plug in another disk
            > "before" it, then I'm not sure if Unslung would continue to boot from
            > the renumbered disk.

            I did some quick test and it didn't boot after switching the disk
            and the flash from ports. So works only if the root disk is detected
            first on the hub.

            This will make it very tricky to support to users and i don't think we
            want that.

            > I guess we could try and support that case, but I think it's easier
            > (especially through documentation) to simply say unalung rootfs on
            > disk 2 and all other data disks on disk 1 (with a hub if required).

            If we want to do that in a clean way we should use ext2 labels to do
            the mounts.

            We could use the usb ID as a hack (idVendor:idProduct) but that wouldn't
            work if the usb to disk converters are from the same manufacture.

            Marceln