V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.5-alpha installation report

  • kagyau
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
      I use an unslung box as a file (nfs and samba) and printer server. I
      have two maxtor one touch drives, a usb printer, and a sweex usb hub.

      The usb hub doesn't work with unslung 5.5 Beta, so I can only have
      either two disks (and a nightly backup from disk 1 to disk 2) or a
      disk and a printer. I have been looking forward to the next release
      of unslung based on R63 so that I can get two disks and a printer all
      at once. Yesterday I bit the bullet and built and installed the R63
      based firmware myself. Here is how I did it and my remaining
      problems. All comments and help welcome.

      firmware:
      First I built the new firmware following instructions at

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile

      on a Debian unstable box. This went very smoothly, although the
      instructions are assuming an openslug build. I did

      make unslung
      make unslung-image (not sure if this is necessary).

      It took me a while to discover that the new firmware was in
      unslung/tmp/deploy/images/unslung-nslu2-20060103162611.flashdisk.img
      The build needed 2.6G of disk space.

      upslug2:
      Then I built upslug2. The version from cvs fails to build:
      @quaver:upslug2 4Q> autoreconf -i
      automake: configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
      automake: configure.ac: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
      automake: configure.ac: installing `./missing'
      automake: configure.ac: installing `./config.guess'
      automake: configure.ac: installing `./config.sub'
      automake: Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
      configure.ac: 8: required file `./[config.h].in' not found

      But the prepacked version from
      http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nslu/upslug2-11.tar.gz?download
      built fine.

      flashing:
      The instructions via
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware
      are a bit sparse. Much better is the README included in the
      release (and available from unslung/tmp/rootfs/opt/doc/README) and
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2

      Flashing went fine and I could reboot without disks attached.

      unslinging:
      since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
      decided to unsling to the disk in hub2. I followed the unslinging
      instructions in /opt/doc/README, connected the drive to hubs and ran
      /sbin/unsling disk2. This fails saying the disk is already unslung.
      Since I didn't want to reformat the disk I just removed the .unslung
      file and reran unsling. A reboot worked fine, phew!

      and now:
      The good news is that the hub now works fine in usb port 1. I can
      attach my other disk and the printer to the hub and they are all
      working. I can put a memory stick in another hub slot and that is
      detected as /dev/sdc1 :-)

      I still have some issues though:

      - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
      script
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
      I have to swap flash and hdd. (Incidentally I also have to remove the
      --no-detach option from rsync and CheckBackup always returns 1 for me
      so I have:
      /usr/sbin/CheckBackup
      if [ $? = 1 ]; then
      ## /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 14
      ## exit 1
      elif [ $? = 2 ];then
      /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 15
      exit 1
      elif [ $? = 3 ];then
      /usr/sbin/set_log backup 0 12
      exit 1
      fi
      )

      It feels wrong that my main disk is in the flash slot! And also the
      backup web page talks of copying disk 1 to disk 2, where I am really
      copying the disk in hub 2 to the disk in hub 1.

      - When I first boot I have

      @ritz:keving 4Q> mount
      /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
      /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
      /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (rw)
      /dev/sdb2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
      /dev/sdb2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
      none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

      (see the two lines for /dev/sdb2) and
      @ritz:keving 4Q> cat /etc/fstab
      #/dev/ram0 / ext2 defaults
      1 1
      #none /proc proc defaults
      0 0
      #none /dev/pts devpts
      gid=5,mode=620 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
      /dev/sdb2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 defaults 1 1
      /dev/sdb3 swap swap defaults 0 0
      /dev/sda1 /share/flash/data ext3 defaults,usrquota
      1 1

      I rewrite /etc/fstab to be
      #/dev/ram0 / ext2 defaults
      1 1
      #none /proc proc defaults
      0 0
      #none /dev/pts devpts
      gid=5,mode=620 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
      /dev/sdb2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 defaults 1 1
      /dev/sdb3 swap swap defaults 0 0
      /dev/sda1 /share/flash/data ext3 defaults,usrquota 1
      /dev/sda2 /share/flash/conf ext3 defaults 1 1
      /dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
      /dev/sdc1 /mnt/extdisk auto defaults,usrquota,user 1 1

      and
      @ritz:keving 4Q> sudo umount /share/flash/conf/
      @ritz:keving 4Q> sudo mount /share/flash/conf/

      and that fixes that, but what is rewriting my fstab on boot?

      - The web interface only shows disk 1 (actually /share/hdd/data, so my
      disk 2)

      - I can't log in to the web interface to acces my private data, it
      just keeps asking me to log in again.

      That is all I have discovered so far.

      Sorry this is so long, I hope it is rather complete and hopefully will
      encourage other alpha testers to give it a try. Only another 12
      needed now ....

      cheers
      Kevin
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        Firstly, thanks for "taking the plunge", Kevin!

        A few comments:

        - it certainly looks like upgrades work ok - as the message you got when you attempted to unsling indicated, unslinging to already-unslung drives (i.e. upgrades) is not something that has been thoroughly explored yet.  I expect that normally some manual work will be required to "patch" things up after an upgrade, especially if the root drive moves from USB port 1 to USB port 2 (as I expect many upgraders will do, for precisely the reason you note: better support for hubs on USB port 1).

        - I agree that it seems "unnatural" to have the root drive mounted on the "flash" port and "flash" mountpoint -- but to reassure other readers, as of the R63 firmware release, the "flash" nomenclature exists only in the lettering on the case and in the directory-name of the mount-point - both ports can handle disks or flash devices.  You'll even notice the Linksys web pages refer to both identically as of R63.

        - As for the strange fstab, the missing web page entry, and the inability to login to the web page -- I'll try to duplicate your setup, I have suspicions about what's going on.  I think it probably has to do with the data stored on the /share/*/conf partitions; when the drives moved ports, something seems to have gotten confused or lost.  The shares and mounts are performed "on-the-fly" by the Linksys utilities, and if they cannot identify the partitions as "Linksys partitions" they will not be processed by the utilities.  This leads to the same symptoms you describe.  Fixing it is quite another matter, however... :-(

        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:19 +0000, kagyau wrote:

          > unslinging:
          > since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
          > decided to unsling to the disk in hub2.
          >
          > - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
          > script
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
          > I have to swap flash and hdd.

          Why didn't you decide to unsling to disk 1 and attach this disk
          to the hub?

          As far as i remember that works as well.

          But i only tested it with flash disks added after the boot.

          Marceln
        • Kevin Glynn
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
            On 04/01/06, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:19 +0000, kagyau wrote:
            >
            > > unslinging:
            > > since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
            > > decided to unsling to the disk in hub2.
            > >
            > > - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
            > > script
            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
            > > I have to swap flash and hdd.
            >
            > Why didn't you decide to unsling to disk 1 and attach this disk
            > to the hub?
            >
            > As far as i remember that works as well.
            >
            > But i only tested it with flash disks added after the boot.

            I am sure it would work, but it is more convenient to have the disk
            that must be permanently attached to the slug on port 2 and use the
            hub for the transient devices.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
              One question would be regarding the naming of multiple devices on the hub - if you put the unslung disk there, and then plug in another disk "before" it, then I'm not sure if Unslung would continue to boot from the renumbered disk. I guess we could try and support that case, but I think it's easier (especially through documentation) to simply say unalung rootfs on disk 2 and all other data disks on disk 1 (with a hub if required).

              -- Rod
              On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 09:19 +0000, kagyau wrote:

              > unslinging:
              since I read somewhere that the hub must be attached to usb hub 1 I
              decided to unsling to the disk in hub2.

              - My main disk is now /share/flash, so when I fixed the disk backup
              script
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware
              I have to swap flash and hdd.

              Why didn't you decide to unsling to disk 1 and attach this disk
              to the hub?

              As far as i remember that works as well.

              But i only tested it with flash disks added after the boot.

              Marceln

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Marcel Nijenhof
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
                On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 08:25 +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:

                > One question would be regarding the naming of multiple devices on the
                > hub - if you put the unslung disk there, and then plug in another disk
                > "before" it, then I'm not sure if Unslung would continue to boot from
                > the renumbered disk.

                I did some quick test and it didn't boot after switching the disk
                and the flash from ports. So works only if the root disk is detected
                first on the hub.

                This will make it very tricky to support to users and i don't think we
                want that.

                > I guess we could try and support that case, but I think it's easier
                > (especially through documentation) to simply say unalung rootfs on
                > disk 2 and all other data disks on disk 1 (with a hub if required).

                If we want to do that in a clean way we should use ext2 labels to do
                the mounts.

                We could use the usb ID as a hack (idVendor:idProduct) but that wouldn't
                work if the usb to disk converters are from the same manufacture.

                Marceln