Re: The future of the NSLU2-Linux project - your input is required!

  • guyug01
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw@g...> wrote:

      > I suspect that the number is at least a bit higher. I never added my
      > name for example, since somewhere I go the impression that usage stats
      > were now being recorded through the popularity-contest package.

      Perhaps as hundreds(?), I had exactly the same feeling!

      > So I think Debian and a Slug is a very good match

      I totally agree with you!
      Guy
    • Adrian Day
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 31, 2006
        John,

        On 1/31/06, John Bowler <jbowler@...> wrote:
        > From: Adrian Day
        > >Running 'ls -lR /' will lock a ssh session.
        >
        > Well, can you still ping the slug? (I.e. does it still
        > respond to ping?)
        >
        > I've never managed to lock a system (i.e. a hard kernel lock
        > or a crash) by doing that, or the pretty much identical
        > command "find /", and I do it quite a lot (it's a quick and
        > easy way of getting CPU load).
        >
        > What gets locked exactly? Assuming the ping doesn't respond,
        > does the power button work? What if you run a shell script to
        > toggle the disk 1 led on/off:
        >
        > while true; do echo -n 100 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/brightness; sleep 1; echo -n 0 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/brightness; sleep 1; done
        >
        > Does that keep going? (Running in another ssh session). What
        > happens when the LED is being made to flash from the kernel:
        >
        > echo timer >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/trigger
        > echo 1000 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/frequency
        >
        > Does it lock up then? (That would indicate a kernel crash).

        It's definitely not a kernel crash. It just kills the current ssh
        session. I'm at work now but will attempt to delve a little deeper
        into this when I get home. I'm not alone - Jean Fabrice has
        experienced similar problems - I'd posted something about this a week
        or so back.

        Like I said, I'll spend some time looking into this in more detail.
        It's the least I can do compared to the considerable effort you and
        others have put into the slug.

        --
        Adrian