Re: [nslu2-linux] HWCLOCK

  • Thomas Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
      On 1/2/06, Dean Maluski <dmaluski@...> wrote:
      What is the purpose of "hwclock" and is it necessary to run from a cron
      job?
      I setup a cron job to synchronize my unslung slug but when hwclock runs
      it messes up the time.
      I use slug and oww package to monitor weather. Every 5 minutes it
      uploads wx stats to my main server. Trouble is when hwclock runs it
      rolls the clock out to some bogus time which stops my cron jobs from
      running at their proper time.
      Seems I have two choices;
      1.) Let hwclock set the time incorrectly.
      2.) rem out hwclock and re-enable my timesinc script which keeps time
      correct.
      My question is, is hwclock necessary?
      hwclock is nothing more than the program that is used to set the hardware clock to the same time as the operating system time or to set the operating system time the same as the hardware clock (you have obviously observed this one).

      If you set the hardware clock to the correct time, then when cron runs hwclock, things will work ok.

      If you install one of the network time packages, you should definately remove hwclock from crontab.