Re: Upgrade Samba to 3.0.20

  • roberto_silva_pt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      What happens today is that when I try to connect my MacMini to the
      SMB, I press the connect button but then Finder hangs and I have to
      cancel it manually...

      I have read in the net that I need to either downgrade Samba to 2.0
      (which I don't won't to do because of portuguese characters) or
      upgrade it to 3.0.20 (which is available for OpenSlung).

      For now I use the HTTP interface to access the files but that
      doesn't enable me to use subtitle files or DVD folders...

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Friedmar Moch <friedmar@a...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Roberto,
      >
      > I think you don't need the upgrade to 3.20. I run Unslung 5.5 with
      Samba
      > 3.14... And there are absolutely no problems to access it from my
      Mac mini.
      > Unfortunately to my knowledge 3.14 is the last available Samba
      Version
      > for Unslung 5,5.Actuall is Samba 3.21!
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Friedmar

    • Übergeek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        No problem connecting to "vanilla" uNSLUng with OS 10.4.2 here.
        Freshly flashed image, booting from flash rootfs.

        Übergeek

        roberto_silva_pt wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > I need help to upgrade the current samba package to 3.0.20 for
        > Unslung. I have been unable to access data of NSLU2 from my Mac and
        > it is my current understanding that I will only be able to do this
        > if I upgrade Samba from 3.0.14a-6 to 3.0.20...
        >
        > I don't know how to do this my self. Can anybody do this in benefit
        > of all Mac users?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > RS
        >

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
        > <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
        >
        >>I own a Slug with 4.20 and with Samba 3 (3.0.14) installed.
        >
        > Everything
        >
        >>works fine with my window xp machines and with Xbox.
        >>
        >>I just bought a Mac Mini, with Mac OS x (10.4.2) and,
        >
        > unfortunatly, I
        >
        >>can't get Mac to connect to the Slug. I have search on the net and
        >
        > the
        >
        >>only resolution I can find is to update the SMB to 3.0.20.
        >>
        >>I understand that Samba 3.0.20 is already available for OpenSlug
        >
        > but
        >
        >>not to Unslung. Is there any ideia of when (or if) this version
        >
        > will
        >
        >>be also available for Unslung?
        >>
        >>Or is there any other way to solve this issue with the Mac
        >
        > connection?
        >
        >>Thanks in advance
        >>
        >>RS

      • roberto_silva_pt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Well, thanks to Asko Kauppi I found out how to overcame this
          situation. In Finder, I had to connect to server using the menu
          functionality "Go->Connect to Server" and then include the address
          to the public folder with "smb://192.168.1.77/disk 1" and then
          use "guest" as username on the following dialog.

          Thanks to the support of everybody and specially Asko.

          Happy 2006...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Can you please add an entry to the FAQ on the wiki about this issue?

            [See nslu2-linux community rule #3 :-)]

            Thanks,

            -- Rod

          • roberto_silva_pt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              Done...I hope it fits the quality standard of the wiki.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-