Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: The future of the NSLU2-Linux project - your input is required!

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 2, 2006
      I've wondered if there were faster, "beefier" boards that used
      similar CPUs available, I'd be curious as to what these machines you
      speak of are.

      On Jan 2, 2006, at 2:00 AM, wouter@... wrote:

      > Since I've posted this, someeone's offered beefier hardware as buildd
      > hosts, with more RAM and faster processors. This should go a long
      > way to
      > remedying this issue.
      >
      > Thanks!
    • Adrian Day
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 31, 2006
        John,

        On 1/31/06, John Bowler <jbowler@...> wrote:
        > From: Adrian Day
        > >Running 'ls -lR /' will lock a ssh session.
        >
        > Well, can you still ping the slug? (I.e. does it still
        > respond to ping?)
        >
        > I've never managed to lock a system (i.e. a hard kernel lock
        > or a crash) by doing that, or the pretty much identical
        > command "find /", and I do it quite a lot (it's a quick and
        > easy way of getting CPU load).
        >
        > What gets locked exactly? Assuming the ping doesn't respond,
        > does the power button work? What if you run a shell script to
        > toggle the disk 1 led on/off:
        >
        > while true; do echo -n 100 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/brightness; sleep 1; echo -n 0 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/brightness; sleep 1; done
        >
        > Does that keep going? (Running in another ssh session). What
        > happens when the LED is being made to flash from the kernel:
        >
        > echo timer >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/trigger
        > echo 1000 >/sys/class/leds/disk-1/frequency
        >
        > Does it lock up then? (That would indicate a kernel crash).

        It's definitely not a kernel crash. It just kills the current ssh
        session. I'm at work now but will attempt to delve a little deeper
        into this when I get home. I'm not alone - Jean Fabrice has
        experienced similar problems - I'd posted something about this a week
        or so back.

        Like I said, I'll spend some time looking into this in more detail.
        It's the least I can do compared to the considerable effort you and
        others have put into the slug.

        --
        Adrian