Upgrade Samba to 3.0.20

  • roberto_silva_pt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi all

      I need help to upgrade the current samba package to 3.0.20 for
      Unslung. I have been unable to access data of NSLU2 from my Mac and
      it is my current understanding that I will only be able to do this
      if I upgrade Samba from 3.0.14a-6 to 3.0.20...

      I don't know how to do this my self. Can anybody do this in benefit
      of all Mac users?

      Thanks

      RS

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
      <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:

      > I own a Slug with 4.20 and with Samba 3 (3.0.14) installed.
      Everything
      > works fine with my window xp machines and with Xbox.
      >
      > I just bought a Mac Mini, with Mac OS x (10.4.2) and,
      unfortunatly, I
      > can't get Mac to connect to the Slug. I have search on the net and
      the
      > only resolution I can find is to update the SMB to 3.0.20.
      >
      > I understand that Samba 3.0.20 is already available for OpenSlug
      but
      > not to Unslung. Is there any ideia of when (or if) this version
      will
      > be also available for Unslung?
      >
      > Or is there any other way to solve this issue with the Mac
      connection?

      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > RS

    • Friedmar Moch
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hi Roberto,

        I think you don't need the upgrade to 3.20. I run Unslung 5.5 with Samba
        3.14... And there are absolutely no problems to access it from my Mac mini.
        Unfortunately to my knowledge 3.14 is the last available Samba Version
        for Unslung 5,5.Actuall is Samba 3.21!

        Regards

        Friedmar
      • roberto_silva_pt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          What happens today is that when I try to connect my MacMini to the
          SMB, I press the connect button but then Finder hangs and I have to
          cancel it manually...

          I have read in the net that I need to either downgrade Samba to 2.0
          (which I don't won't to do because of portuguese characters) or
          upgrade it to 3.0.20 (which is available for OpenSlung).

          For now I use the HTTP interface to access the files but that
          doesn't enable me to use subtitle files or DVD folders...

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Friedmar Moch <friedmar@a...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Roberto,
          >
          > I think you don't need the upgrade to 3.20. I run Unslung 5.5 with
          Samba
          > 3.14... And there are absolutely no problems to access it from my
          Mac mini.
          > Unfortunately to my knowledge 3.14 is the last available Samba
          Version
          > for Unslung 5,5.Actuall is Samba 3.21!
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Friedmar

        • Übergeek
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
            No problem connecting to "vanilla" uNSLUng with OS 10.4.2 here.
            Freshly flashed image, booting from flash rootfs.

            Übergeek

            roberto_silva_pt wrote:
            > Hi all
            >
            > I need help to upgrade the current samba package to 3.0.20 for
            > Unslung. I have been unable to access data of NSLU2 from my Mac and
            > it is my current understanding that I will only be able to do this
            > if I upgrade Samba from 3.0.14a-6 to 3.0.20...
            >
            > I don't know how to do this my self. Can anybody do this in benefit
            > of all Mac users?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > RS
            >

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "roberto_silva_pt"
            > <roberto.gsilva@g...> wrote:
            >
            >>I own a Slug with 4.20 and with Samba 3 (3.0.14) installed.
            >
            > Everything
            >
            >>works fine with my window xp machines and with Xbox.
            >>
            >>I just bought a Mac Mini, with Mac OS x (10.4.2) and,
            >
            > unfortunatly, I
            >
            >>can't get Mac to connect to the Slug. I have search on the net and
            >
            > the
            >
            >>only resolution I can find is to update the SMB to 3.0.20.
            >>
            >>I understand that Samba 3.0.20 is already available for OpenSlug
            >
            > but
            >
            >>not to Unslung. Is there any ideia of when (or if) this version
            >
            > will
            >
            >>be also available for Unslung?
            >>
            >>Or is there any other way to solve this issue with the Mac
            >
            > connection?
            >
            >>Thanks in advance
            >>
            >>RS

          • roberto_silva_pt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              Well, thanks to Asko Kauppi I found out how to overcame this
              situation. In Finder, I had to connect to server using the menu
              functionality "Go->Connect to Server" and then include the address
              to the public folder with "smb://192.168.1.77/disk 1" and then
              use "guest" as username on the following dialog.

              Thanks to the support of everybody and specially Asko.

              Happy 2006...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                Can you please add an entry to the FAQ on the wiki about this issue?

                [See nslu2-linux community rule #3 :-)]

                Thanks,

                -- Rod

              • roberto_silva_pt
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Done...I hope it fits the quality standard of the wiki.

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-