problem installing slimserver on linksys nslu2

  • aceadri
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2005
      hello all
      i'm getting problem installing SlimServer on nslu-2.
      As my linux skill is poor I followed the step by step information
      found on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer
      except:
      I installed unslung v5.5 beta instead of 4.20 and did not installed
      DropBear.
      I also tried 2 different SlimServer version (6.0.2 as the exaple and
      6.2.1) with the same result:
      running the script
      /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl (version
      number change with the server installed version)
      I always have the same error message:

      Can't stat blib: No such file or directory
      at /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl line 287
      Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for Compress-Zlib-1.33.tar.gz -
      something
      is wrong. Exiting!

      any idea?
      best regards and happy new year

      Adriano
    • aceadri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
        Airuck, a member of the slimdevices forum gave the right indication
        to solve the problem; I copy here his post, hoping to help who will
        find my same difficulties:

        Good timing! I ran into the same problem two days ago while
        installing same unslung and slimserver versions. The problem with
        the an incorrect system date messing with the perl module install
        process (file timestamps were incompatible). To correct the prolem:

        1. Use the "date" command to update your system date. This is in the
        format of "date MMDDHHMMYYYY.SS" So for 9:50:30AM December 31, 2005
        the command would be "date 311209502005.30"

        2. Re-run /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.0.2/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

        3. Finish the remainder of the set up as instructed. Be sure never
        to start the NSLU2 without the attached "unslung" USB drive or
        you'll have to start again from the flashing, but this time with the
        upslug method.

        I have to agree that the NSLU2 is underpowered for the application.
        I uploaded ~17GB/~3500 tracks. The first music folder scan took 1.5
        hours. Browsing and list loading is slow. That said, the NSLU2 is a
        really nice low power, always on, backup solution. My NSLU2 is still
        underclocked (133MHz), but I will "de-underclock" to 233MHz now that
        everything is working.

        I am using a slimp3 networked through a wireless bridge to serve
        through my stereo and am listening to a random mix right now
        (Satriani, Rolling Stones, and Dire Straights so far...). There is a
        ~10 second lag and a display freeze between tracks.