Serial port 'backdoor'

  • paulbart1234
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2004
      I've found that if you have a serial terminal connected, once the
      entire boot process is finished, you'll end up at a "#" prompt (no
      login required).

      I believe that you are logged-in as 'root' at this point (I created
      a file, and it was owner/group 'root').

      This is true whether/not a hard drive is attached at boot, and
      whether/not you've interrupted the boot process/entered the RedBoot
      serial console (just power-up the NSLU2 with serial console
      attached, wait until 'ready beep' is heard, then start typing at
      serial console)

      - Paulb