Multiple NTFS drives via USB Hub on Disk1

  • Darren
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2005
      New to Linux, looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

      Having problems connecting more than one NTFS HDD on Disk1 via USB
      hub. (Unslung 5.5)

      dmesg indicates that both HDD's are assigned to sda...

      My 300GB Drive...
      * sd_attach:0
      Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
      SCSI device sda: 586072368 512-byte hdwr sectors (300069 MB)
      Partition check:
      /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

      My 120GB Drive...
      * sd_attach:0
      Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
      SCSI device sda: 240121728 512-byte hdwr sectors (122942 MB)
      /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

      I have unslung to Disk2 (sdb) as Disk1 is needed to read NTSF (ufsd)
      Looking to attach a third 120GB HDD also all going well.

      Also, I've found the power swith on the slug doesnt turn the unit off
      anymore, what package do I install to automate shutdown?

      Thanks for all your help so far :)

      Darren
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2005
        You'll need to wait for Unslung 6.x for multiple NTFS disk support.

        Or you can alpha test it right now if you build it yourself (see wiki/Development/MasterMakefile). We need 20 alpha testers before we can release a binary beta ...

        -- Rod
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • darren.jan
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25, 2005
          Thanks Rod, I did have a look at wiki/Develpoment/MasterMakefile, basically miles above my head at the moment (linux newbie)

          Decided to give multiple disk support a go with ext3 and...  I still have the same problem, both are seen as sda???
          Could this be a USB Hub issue, a package I'm still to install?

          Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
           /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1

          Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
          SCSI device sda: 240121728 512-byte hdwr sectors (122942 MB)
           /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
          Could it be the USB Hub?  (DLink HUB-H7 ... 7 downstream Type "A" USB 2.0 port)

          Any pointers appreciated

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2005
            You know that you cannot have more than one drive of any type on each hardware port for Unslung 5.x and earlier, right? It's in the FAQ, which you (by virtue of agreeing to the community rules) must have read before posting here ... ;-)
            The only way to get three or more disks (hard or flash) is to alpha test Unslung 6.x or to use OpenSlug (or UcSlugC, or LeSlug, or OpenDebianSlug, or LeDebianSlug).

            -- Rod
            wiki/Develpoment/MasterMakefile, basically miles above my head at the moment
            (linux newbie) Decided to give multiple disk support a go with ext3
            and... I still have the same problem, both are seen as
            sda??? Could this be a USB Hub issue, a package I'm still to
            install? Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun
            0
            SCSI device sda: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026
            MB)
            /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun
[...]

            :)

            Darren

            Yahoo! Groups
            Links

            Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            Visit your group "nslu2-linux" on the web.