Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Robert Demski
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 18, 2005
      Hello
      It's fine that kernel-patch-scsi-idle all in all was included to OE repo.
      Obviously I can contribute scsi-idle packae in OE. I have prapared .bb
      file (scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2
      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE-lQ_69oRNcxMtpkTIH54xs_R-Bscf1X1G6UbWtYfBmY066gyAGsZFoN5RE2NJHVU3SCtzOmCdOMqXeYyEh4eFHt5sNuJc/Custom%20Executables/scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2>)
      for including to OpenEmbedded packages.
      Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
      some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
      for scsi devices.
      I don't know how to become OE developer and I put this .bb file only in
      Custom Executables.

      Demsey

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 18, 2005
        Robert Demski schrieb:
        > Obviously I can contribute scsi-idle packae in OE. I have prapared .bb
        > file (scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2
        > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE-lQ_69oRNcxMtpkTIH54xs_R-Bscf1X1G6UbWtYfBmY066gyAGsZFoN5RE2NJHVU3SCtzOmCdOMqXeYyEh4eFHt5sNuJc/Custom%20Executables/scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2>)
        > for including to OpenEmbedded packages.
        > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
        > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
        > for scsi devices.
        > I don't know how to become OE developer and I put this .bb file only in
        > Custom Executables.

        I patched 2.6.15 and sent the package and patches to the OE mailinglist
        in order for them to include it into the source tree. However, nobody
        answered so I don't know if they will.

        Fred
      • jrbumpus
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 24, 2005
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-
          linux@r...> wrote:

          > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:15:10 -0800, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@o...>
          > said:
          > > I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
          > > before, by the way.
          >
          > Great, thanks.
          >
          > -- Rod

          Followed fredericiana's blog. Albeit, did not need to insert the
          spin-down kernel patch as it currently is building off the unstable
          head and the scsi-idle kernel patch appears inserted during the
          build process. I've also installed the ipkg from the yahoo files.
          reflashed with the new ".img" image file. Still, I attempt to do an
          immediate scsi-idle or scsi-stop on any of four different USB
          enclosures to no avail. Doesn't come back with any errors, just
          doesn't spin down. Disks are WDC and Seagate in case it matters.

          I'd be curious if anyone else has had this problem or if there is a
          fix?

          Thanks!
          -
          JR
        • Marcus Better
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
            Robert Demski wrote:

            > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
            > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
            > for scsi devices.

            Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
            it.

            I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
            installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
            message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.

            Marcus
          • Robert Demski
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
              1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
              - scsi-idle-2.4.23.patch
              2) I know about deprecated ioctl call warning - it is deprecatex in
              2.6.x kernels. Scsi-idle.c and scsi-start.c should be fixed (patched) -
              if are any chance to include scsi-idle as OE package i can try fix it too:)

              Demsey

              Marcus Better napisał(a):
              > Robert Demski wrote:
              >
              > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
              > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
              > > for scsi devices.
              >
              > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
              > it.
              >
              > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
              > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
              > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
              >
              > Marcus

              > Communication and networking
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw>
              > Wireless communication and networking
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw>
              > Linksys nslu2
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linksys+nslu2&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=j3mKdhnq2Dp0IwkO41UTZg>

            • Robert Demski
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                I have compiled OpenSlug kernel 2.6.15 - from OE repository and
                scsi-idle package is working (scsi-start/stop)
                scsi-idle isn't working now (Im looking for reason:)

                Marcus Better napisał(a):
                > Robert Demski wrote:
                >
                > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                > > for scsi devices.
                >
                > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                > it.
                >
                > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
                It isn't problem with enclosure? - scsi-idle isn't working with all them.

                  Robert Demski wrote:

                  > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz

                  No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).

                  Marcus

                • Robert Demski
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
                    Marcus Better napisał(a):
                    > Robert Demski wrote:
                    >
                    > > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
                    >
                    > No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).
                    >
                    > Marcus
                    I see - you are looking for kernel-patch (2.6.x) without this warning
                    (program scsi-start is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
                    to SG_IO)
                    I haven't this patch:(
                    My knowlege about it is that:
                    This warning appear when scsi-idle (or scsi-start/stop) are calling
                    ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT) - for spinup fd unit
                    or ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) - for spindown fd unit.
                    command: SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT and several others
                    are deprecated in 2.6 kernels.
                    Also this warning is originated from scsi-idle demon - not from
                    kernel-path-scsi-idle
                    This kernel patch is necessary for retrive from kernel information when
                    to send SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT command by scsi-idle demon.
                    Appeared warning talking about conversion this ioctl command to SG_IO -
                    but I don't know how to do:(
                    I found http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO/ but i don't see
                    commands referred with device spin(down/up).
                    Generaly - I have no idea how to convert deprecated ioctl in scsi-idle
                    package to SG_IO - I count on help in this issue.
                    Mayby after this conversion more devices will be supported......

                    btw
                    What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                    OE OpenSlug head?
                  • Frederic Wenzel
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                      Robert Demski schrieb:
                      > btw
                      > What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                      > OE OpenSlug head?

                      did it ever make it to a release? I am not quite sure.

                      However, people keep asking me about this feature. It runs great on my
                      box with patched kernel 2.6.15 #2...

                      Fred
                    • Dean Dodd
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                        Has the patch been included with Openslug 3.10? If no one knows is
                        there anyway to analyze the kernel to see if it is included or not?

                        Thanks

                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
                        > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
                        > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
                        > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
                        > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
                        > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
                        > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
                        > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
                        > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
                        > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
                        >
                        > Demsey

                      • Frederic Wenzel
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                          No, it has not. You have to build your own package for that. Sorry.

                          However, I am just making a patch for the openembedded tree so that the next version of openslug can be delivered with this patch included. Stay tuned, I will be posting it on this list in a minute.

                          Fred