Re: Spindown scsi disk in OpenSlug

  • Frederic Wenzel
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley P. Miller" <yahoo@s...>
      wrote:

      > Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
      > do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
      > point.

      I just blogged how I did it. But, caution, it is complicated.

      http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nslu2-linux-usb-harddrive-spindown/

      Leave a comment there on how it worked for you :)

      Fred
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
        On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:47:57 -0000, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@...>
        said:
        > I can upload the flash image I made, if you people want.

        Not without putting the project (and yourself) at risk of legal exposure
        due to the licensing of the Intel kernel modules ...

        Remember folks, binary images *must* be behind click-through licenses
        (as per openslug.org) to even begin to be compliant with the Intel
        licensing. You all read and agreed to this license when you downloaded
        the OpenSlug or Unslung binary images, or when you downloaded the IXP
        source code to build them yourself.

        I'm adding the scsi-idle patch to the OpenSlug 2.6.15-rc5 kernel now, so
        it will appear in a future OpenSlug binary release.

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
          Thanks Fred.

          Is the scsi-idle package part of OpenEmbedded already, or does someone
          need to contribute a .bb file?

          -- Rod

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
            said:
            > > Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
            > > do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
            > > point.
            >
            > I just blogged how I did it. But, caution, it is complicated.
            >
            > http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nslu2-linux-usb-harddrive-spindown/

            BTW, any reason why you didn't add a HowTo page on the nslu2-linux wiki
            where everyone will be able to find it in the future. It can point to
            your own blog if you really want the traffic to go to your site for some
            reason ...

            -- Rod (continually concerned about fragmentation of project information
            ...)
          • Frederic Wenzel
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
              Rod Whitby wrote:
              >>I can upload the flash image I made, if you people want.
              >
              > Not without putting the project (and yourself) at risk of legal exposure
              > due to the licensing of the Intel kernel modules ...

              I smelled that, and that's why I asked first. Okay, so no binaries ;)

              > I'm adding the scsi-idle patch to the OpenSlug 2.6.15-rc5 kernel now, so
              > it will appear in a future OpenSlug binary release.

              Thanks a lot.

              Fred
            • Frederic Wenzel
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                Rod Whitby wrote:
                > Is the scsi-idle package part of OpenEmbedded already, or does someone
                > need to contribute a .bb file?

                It is not. However, Rob Demski has added the .bb file to the "Custom
                Executables" section of the yahoo group. It should do the job.

                Fred
              • Frederic Wenzel
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                  Rod Whitby wrote:
                  >>>Could someone who understands how to do this post a how-to message or
                  >>>do a wiki page on it. Looks interesting but way over my head at this
                  >>>point.
                  >>
                  >>I just blogged how I did it. But, caution, it is complicated.
                  >>http://en.magenson.de/2005/12/16/nslu2-linux-usb-harddrive-spindown/
                  >
                  > BTW, any reason why you didn't add a HowTo page on the nslu2-linux wiki
                  > where everyone will be able to find it in the future.

                  I just already started to make some notes in the blog about it and
                  therefore I blogged it in the end. However, I can donate the text to the
                  wiki. If you include the patch anyway, it is not very useful anymore;
                  but it might help people add another kernel patch if they just need a
                  walk-through ;)

                  I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
                  before, by the way.

                  Fred
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                    OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages and it will appear in the feeds.

                    -- Rod

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                      On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:15:10 -0800, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@...>
                      said:
                      > I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
                      > before, by the way.

                      Great, thanks.

                      -- Rod
                    • Frederic Wenzel
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                        Rod Whitby wrote:
                        > OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages and it will appear in the feeds.

                        I will send the patch to the oe mailinglist in a jiffy.

                        Fred
                      • bradkieser
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Frederic Wenzel <fred@o...> wrote:

                          > Rod Whitby wrote:
                          > > OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer
                          and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages
                          and it will appear in the feeds.

                          Will this go into the 2.7beta package?
                          Have we had any updates into there recently?

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 16, 2005
                            Since it requires a kernel patch, there is point in adding it to the 2.7 feed - the current monotone head is destined to use a 3.x feed.

                            -- Rod
                            > OK, so either yourself or Rob Demski should become an OE developer and get it into the OE repo. Then we can add it to openslug-packages and it will appear in the feeds.

                            Will this go into the 2.7beta package?
                            Have we had any updates into there recently?

                            > I will send the patch to the oe mailinglist in a jiffy.

                            Fred

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Robert Demski
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 18, 2005
                              Hello
                              It's fine that kernel-patch-scsi-idle all in all was included to OE repo.
                              Obviously I can contribute scsi-idle packae in OE. I have prapared .bb
                              file (scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2
                              <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE-lQ_69oRNcxMtpkTIH54xs_R-Bscf1X1G6UbWtYfBmY066gyAGsZFoN5RE2NJHVU3SCtzOmCdOMqXeYyEh4eFHt5sNuJc/Custom%20Executables/scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2>)
                              for including to OpenEmbedded packages.
                              Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                              some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                              for scsi devices.
                              I don't know how to become OE developer and I put this .bb file only in
                              Custom Executables.

                              Demsey

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 18, 2005
                                Robert Demski schrieb:
                                > Obviously I can contribute scsi-idle packae in OE. I have prapared .bb
                                > file (scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2
                                > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QE-lQ_69oRNcxMtpkTIH54xs_R-Bscf1X1G6UbWtYfBmY066gyAGsZFoN5RE2NJHVU3SCtzOmCdOMqXeYyEh4eFHt5sNuJc/Custom%20Executables/scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2>)
                                > for including to OpenEmbedded packages.
                                > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                > for scsi devices.
                                > I don't know how to become OE developer and I put this .bb file only in
                                > Custom Executables.

                                I patched 2.6.15 and sent the package and patches to the OE mailinglist
                                in order for them to include it into the source tree. However, nobody
                                answered so I don't know if they will.

                                Fred
                              • jrbumpus
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 24, 2005
                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <list.nslu2-
                                  linux@r...> wrote:

                                  > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:15:10 -0800, "Frederic Wenzel" <fred@o...>
                                  > said:
                                  > > I already added a note to the "Spindown USB harddrives" wiki page
                                  > > before, by the way.
                                  >
                                  > Great, thanks.
                                  >
                                  > -- Rod

                                  Followed fredericiana's blog. Albeit, did not need to insert the
                                  spin-down kernel patch as it currently is building off the unstable
                                  head and the scsi-idle kernel patch appears inserted during the
                                  build process. I've also installed the ipkg from the yahoo files.
                                  reflashed with the new ".img" image file. Still, I attempt to do an
                                  immediate scsi-idle or scsi-stop on any of four different USB
                                  enclosures to no avail. Doesn't come back with any errors, just
                                  doesn't spin down. Disks are WDC and Seagate in case it matters.

                                  I'd be curious if anyone else has had this problem or if there is a
                                  fix?

                                  Thanks!
                                  -
                                  JR
                                • Marcus Better
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                                    Robert Demski wrote:

                                    > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                    > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                    > for scsi devices.

                                    Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                                    it.

                                    I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                                    installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                                    message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.

                                    Marcus
                                  • Robert Demski
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                                      1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
                                      - scsi-idle-2.4.23.patch
                                      2) I know about deprecated ioctl call warning - it is deprecatex in
                                      2.6.x kernels. Scsi-idle.c and scsi-start.c should be fixed (patched) -
                                      if are any chance to include scsi-idle as OE package i can try fix it too:)

                                      Demsey

                                      Marcus Better napisał(a):
                                      > Robert Demski wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                      > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                      > > for scsi devices.
                                      >
                                      > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                                      > it.
                                      >
                                      > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                                      > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                                      > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
                                      >
                                      > Marcus

                                      > Communication and networking
                                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=ncJ7zHuN94kilWuTSDl3Vw>
                                      > Wireless communication and networking
                                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=-1Cy7rgDdkUo3T3bGhOAAw>
                                      > Linksys nslu2
                                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Linksys+nslu2&w1=Communication+and+networking&w2=Wireless+communication+and+networking&w3=Linksys+nslu2&c=3&s=96&.sig=j3mKdhnq2Dp0IwkO41UTZg>

                                    • Robert Demski
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 13, 2006
                                        I have compiled OpenSlug kernel 2.6.15 - from OE repository and
                                        scsi-idle package is working (scsi-start/stop)
                                        scsi-idle isn't working now (Im looking for reason:)

                                        Marcus Better napisał(a):
                                        > Robert Demski wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Scsi-idle is working (perhaps not with all enclosures) but requires
                                        > > some fixes in man page and changing not relevant for 2.6 kernel ioctrl()
                                        > > for scsi devices.
                                        >
                                        > Do you have such a patch? Your bb package (2.4.23) did not seem to include
                                        > it.
                                        >
                                        > I have compiled a DebianSlug kernel 2.6.15 with the scsi-idle patch and
                                        > installed the scsi-idle package from Debian, but all I get is an error
                                        > message about using a deprecated interface and an invalid ioctl.
                                        It isn't problem with enclosure? - scsi-idle isn't working with all them.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
                                            Marcus Better napisał(a):
                                            > Robert Demski wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > 1) This path is included in source tarbal file scsi-idle_2.4.23-5.tar.gz
                                            >
                                            > No, I was referring to a userland patch for kernel 2.6 (using SG_IO).
                                            >
                                            > Marcus
                                            I see - you are looking for kernel-patch (2.6.x) without this warning
                                            (program scsi-start is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
                                            to SG_IO)
                                            I haven't this patch:(
                                            My knowlege about it is that:
                                            This warning appear when scsi-idle (or scsi-start/stop) are calling
                                            ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT) - for spinup fd unit
                                            or ioctl(fd, SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT) - for spindown fd unit.
                                            command: SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT, SCSI_IOCTL_START_UNIT and several others
                                            are deprecated in 2.6 kernels.
                                            Also this warning is originated from scsi-idle demon - not from
                                            kernel-path-scsi-idle
                                            This kernel patch is necessary for retrive from kernel information when
                                            to send SCSI_IOCTL_STOP_UNIT command by scsi-idle demon.
                                            Appeared warning talking about conversion this ioctl command to SG_IO -
                                            but I don't know how to do:(
                                            I found http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SCSI-Generic-HOWTO/ but i don't see
                                            commands referred with device spin(down/up).
                                            Generaly - I have no idea how to convert deprecated ioctl in scsi-idle
                                            package to SG_IO - I count on help in this issue.
                                            Mayby after this conversion more devices will be supported......

                                            btw
                                            What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                                            OE OpenSlug head?
                                          • Frederic Wenzel
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                                              Robert Demski schrieb:
                                              > btw
                                              > What was reason to remove kernel-path-scsi-idle from kernel in current
                                              > OE OpenSlug head?

                                              did it ever make it to a release? I am not quite sure.

                                              However, people keep asking me about this feature. It runs great on my
                                              box with patched kernel 2.6.15 #2...

                                              Fred
                                            • Dean Dodd
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                                                Has the patch been included with Openslug 3.10? If no one knows is
                                                there anyway to analyze the kernel to see if it is included or not?

                                                Thanks

                                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "demseypl" <Robert.Demski@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi
                                                > I have build scsi-idle package for spindown scsi disk in Nslu2 with
                                                > OpenSlug. I upload tarbal with package sources
                                                > scsi-idle.OE.package.tar.bz2 avaliable in Custom Executables.
                                                > For run scsi-idle demon is required kernel compiled with patch
                                                > kernel-patch-scsi-idle (also avaliable in Custom Executable)
                                                > After building and instaling scsi-idle*.ipk you should configure
                                                > /etc/default/scsi-idle for set scasi devise and timeout.
                                                > It is project ported from debian to OpenEmbended. I have made only
                                                > kernel-patch-scsi-idle for 2.6 kernel.
                                                > btw I have tested on kernel 2.6.12 only
                                                >
                                                > Demsey

                                              • Frederic Wenzel
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 4, 2006
                                                  No, it has not. You have to build your own package for that. Sorry.

                                                  However, I am just making a patch for the openembedded tree so that the next version of openslug can be delivered with this patch included. Stay tuned, I will be posting it on this list in a minute.

                                                  Fred