NSLU2 blues

  • Beert Chris van 't Hul
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2005
      (It maybe all my fault....)

      Using upslug2 i loaded openslug2.7 into my NSLU2.
      I decided not to use opeslug2.7 and decided togo back to Unslung5.5.
      Using tftp I loaded the unslung5.5 firmware onto te openslug-ed NSLU2.
      I used command ' reflash -i'  to reflash my openslug-ed NSLU.
      Hoping I could boot the NSLU2 into unslung5.5.

      However this reboot is, for me, unsuccessful (The Ledstatus of 'ready/status'  becomes
      green).

      I tried to telnet into redboot many times but this is not working.

      Somebody any ideas how to proceed?

      (I am using OS X to access my slug)

      Thanks,

      BC

      --
      Get Firefox!
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2005
        If you are using OS X it is likely that you are using a Mac (although
        not definite these days).

        The problem might be that all modern Macs have "smart" ethernet ports
        that automatically figure out what polarity they should be. This can
        be good, as it eliminates the need for a crossover cable to connect
        machine to machine.

        Unfortunately the process of figuring this out takes time,and can
        prevent your getting into redboot in the short window that you have.

        If at all possible you should try to use a non-Mac machine with a
        "stupid" ethernet port to telnet into redboot.

        OTOH, couldn't you just use the reset switch to get into upgrade mode
        and then use upslug? Upslug2 is now available for OS X. Or are you
        damaged so much that this does not work and you need to get into
        redboot?

        On Dec 4, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Beert Chris van 't Hul wrote:

        > (It maybe all my fault....)
        >
        > Using upslug2 i loaded openslug2.7 into my NSLU2.
        > I decided not to use opeslug2.7 and decided togo back to Unslung5.5.
        > Using tftp I loaded the unslung5.5 firmware onto te openslug-ed NSLU2.
        > I used command ' reflash -i' to reflash my openslug-ed NSLU.
        > Hoping I could boot the NSLU2 into unslung5.5.
        >
        > However this reboot is, for me, unsuccessful (The Ledstatus of
        > 'ready/status' becomes
        > green).
        >
        > I tried to telnet into redboot many times but this is not working.
        >
        > Somebody any ideas how to proceed?
        >
        > (I am using OS X to access my slug)
        >
        > Thanks,

      • John Bowler
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2005
          From: Beert Chris van 't Hul
          >I decided not to use opeslug2.7 and decided togo back to Unslung5.5.
          >Using tftp I loaded the unslung5.5 firmware onto te openslug-ed NSLU2.
          >I used command ' reflash -i' to reflash my openslug-ed NSLU.

          reflash attempts to 'restore' the configuration files from openslug
          into the 'new' root file system.

          This will not work if the new root file system is unslung and may not
          even work if the new root file system is too different from the
          previous one.

          >Hoping I could boot the NSLU2 into unslung5.5.

          Use upslug2 to reload the unslung flash image. Get into upgrade mode
          using the the hold-down-the-reset-button approach.

          John Bowler <jbowler@...>
        • Beert Chris van 't Hul
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2005
            John Bowler wrote:

            Use upslug2 to reload the unslung flash image.  Get into upgrade mode
            using the the hold-down-the-reset-button approach.

            Simply 'hold-down-the-reset-button'  resulted in the following procedure:

            When I hold the reset button after power up I noticed that the 'ready/status' led will become red for a few seconds (this deviates from a power up without holding the reset button). When the led becomes red then relese the reset button (if you still hold the reset button the led will become green again): the slug is now in upgrade mode.

            (phhhh, hopefully now I can go back to unslung5.5)

            Thanks all for your replies,

            BC